Say Hello to the New Lua Draggers

I believe you can set this at the OS level. The new draggers use the system default hand cursor.

1 Like

My cursor is as small as it can get, so I can’t really do anything about it

how can i access the framework for this to use in my own tools?

I found it on my Windows machine at

%localappdata%\Roblox\Versions\version-CURRENT STUDIO VERSION\BuiltInStandalonePlugins

Putting %localappdata%\Roblox\Versions\version alone in your Start menu alone should find you a version with it.

I noticed that previous C++ draggers had an interesting feature: when you double-clicked on a certain part of a model, it would select that part instead of the whole model. Will that feature return? It was so cool and handy.

You can hold down ALT to select parts, without selecting the model that the parts are parented to.

3 Likes

Would you mind putting these in folders?

As a plugin developer, I also put visuals in CoreGui, so navigating CoreGui is annoying while also using the new draggers.

1 Like

Could we please get an update for this that allows us to move by smaller increments? A lot of models that used to be easy to work with have required me to use an older version of studio to move these parts at a small enough increment to get the desired result.

If there is a workaround for this, or an option to change the absolute minimum increment, I haven’t noticed.

Physical Draggers work at the same increments geometric ones do. Have you tried to change it from where you’d normally change your increments?

1 Like

The recommended workflow for making small models like this is working on them at a larger scale, and then scaling them down to get the final model. The engine is not designed to work well on very small parts (<0.1 studs in size), so an even smaller increment would only help so much.

The new tools should be able to do everything the old ones can though. If you believe there’s something that they can’t do, please share exact repro steps and we can fix it.

1 Like

What I meant by this is that whenever I try to move parts with these new tools, the part always sort of “jumps” compared to the older draggers. For example, let’s say I have two human characters, and I’m trying to move the clothes from one to the other since I updated one of them. If I try moving the clothes with the new dragger, I can’t get them into the exact spot I need them to be. It’s always slightly too far left, or too far right. However, with the old draggers, I’d be able to move them to the correct spot so that it aligns correctly.

While you could say I could scale up the models, move the pieces into position at that scale, and then downscale them, the problem would then be that I’d have to be able to scale them back down to the exact same size they were before, which is a bit of an issue when you’re dealing with unions that can only get so small without plugins. It’s also really unhelpful if there’s multiple parts that need to be scaled precisely to-scale with each other. A lot of unions I have use holes to house other parts without clipping into each other, and also so that they can be colored individually.

I’ve attached an example of what I’m talking about below. It’s really small, but if you watch the selection box, you should be able to see what I’m talking about.

If there’s a way to change this at all, I’m not sure what it is.

Have you tried to change it from where you’d normally change your increments?

I have indeed, but it doesn’t affect it. I typically leave my increment at 0 for small movements and 0.25 or 0.05 for larger, to keep things symmetrical.

(I apologize, I don’t know how to quote Krunnie’s post fully in the reply feature, despite checking the forum guide.)

1 Like

Could you DM me an example model?

EDIT: It turns out there is a behavior difference in the case where Use Local Space = true. The minimum grid snap increment even when grid snapping is disabled will be removed, sorry for not spotting this behavior difference.

2 Likes

I should’ve posted about this months ago, but I think the issue has reached the point that I have to mention it (I thought the issue would fix itself), because it’s completely halted me and my friend’s development.

This began right when the new lua draggers were released and has been hindering our development on a game for multiple months now, as it’s completely unbearable with the performance issues it creates. Equipping any of the new lua draggers (Move, Scale, Rotate) causes big FPS drops and makes it basically impossible to develop, especially on lower-end machines.

There were absolutely no performance issues regarding the tools prior to this lua dragger update.

This could’ve gone easily unnoticed by the majority of developers as it’s mainly noticeable on larger and more part heavy places. This issue still persists even on my personal small sized game, but it’s not nearly as serious (only very minor FPS drops). It does NOT appear on the regular Select tool, but only the new lua dragger tools.

Example of the issue:

https://streamable.com/gzen20

1 Like

This is fixed now: You should be able to move things with arbitrarily small precision when grid snap is turned off now.

1 Like

Thanks! Greatly appreciate the fix.

I know I’m late to reply to this topic, but I’ll go ahead anyway:

At first I was heavily unsure about the New Lua Draggers as they seemed slightly more difficult to work with (mainly referring to the Rotate tool). I used them for a couple of hours, and now have no problem with them at all, contrary to my initial opinions. The new draggers seem more polished than the C++ ones in my opinion.

I still would however, like for the Rotation Orbs to be brought back, as they were helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks! Could you let us know what function you used the rotate orbs for/why you found them helpful?

Hi. Personally I liked the orbs as they gave the user some sort of place to select the tool, alongside showing specifically how much the object has been rotated more accurately. The orbs aren’t a very big deal, but I think they would be good to bring back.

2 Likes

I second this. I’ve had a slightly harder time gauging my increment rotations, and they also made grabbing parts from weird or close up camera angles a bit easier.

The new ones work just fine, it’s just a little more convenient to be able to gauge it more obviously.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.