Say Hello to the New Lua Draggers

The improvements made on the code are amazing however you should give us the option to disable tool resizing upon zooming (also right now visually checking the size tool increments is a pain) or the option to still use the legacy style. The style changes made it worth using 3rd party draggers even if it results in lower performance.

I know it hurts for whoever did the UI but it’s the hard truth.

Thank you for your honest feedback! We will continue to work to improve these draggers, don’t worry. If there are specific requests you have, especially if something affects your workflow (does zoom resizing impact it or is it just different behavior you dislike?), please feel free to reach out to me directly.

3 Likes

It seems that it’s no longer possible to deselect the draggers. The behavior before was:

• If you deselected the move, scale, or rotate dragger, then the selection dragger would be selected.
  • If you deselect the selection dragger, no draggers are active and clicking in the viewport will not do anything.

This is disruptive to my workflow because sometimes I either want to use a dragger for a moment while testing a game, or I accidentally select a dragger because I use the same hotkeys in my game as the draggers are assigned to, and now I can’t click on anything while testing my game without also selecting it, which is annoying and prone to accidentally moving and breaking stuff.

2 Likes

Nothing was intentionally changed about this, and it still works for me. Could you try disabling your user plugins and figuring out of one of them is interacting poorly with the deselection behavior?

2 Likes

Strange, I can’t reproduce the issue anymore and I didn’t make any changes to plugins. Not sure what was happening, sorry I can’t give any info.

This may just be a ‘me’ issue but whenever I’m building now, say moving, dragging, rotating, and/or scaling, I find very tiny 0.025 (or less) ridges between parts. It’s usually doing two or more actions.

Let’s say I duplicate a part, then rotate, and scale said duplicated part a ridge appears (though not all the time.) It’s particularly annoying to fix, given how minute it is.

Example here, there are two parts here. The duplicate one is the part that’s (every so slightly) ‘taller’ than the original part even though I didn’t drag the part to shift it out of position. Instead, I rotated and then scaled the duplicated part which seems to have shifted it out of position.

This used to happen sporadically with the old draggers, but with the new draggers, it happens frequently now.

This is not a big issue by any means, just something I’ve noticed happening more frequently.

1 Like

i was talking about parts with the mesh instance the mesh instance in the part changes size

I found about the new draggers when I loaded into Studio one day and tried to create the rest of my game. To be honest, I quit trying to make my building after literally 10 minutes of struggling with the new rotate tool. I found the tools, especially rotate, very hard to use and it would be nice if there was a option in Studio Settings called “Enable New Lua Draggers” in the “Studio” segment. I would also REALLY like if the orbs while rotating come back since they really helped me when trying to rotate parts quickly.

Regarding the animation editor, I believe there should definitely be an option for the old draggers. It’s hard enough for me and others to animate simple R6 rigs, and the new draggers will make it even worse.

Here’s a suggestion (for the rotate tool specifically):

1. Make it appear like the old ones where if a section of the dragger is under a part, it doesn’t show up. The current rotate tool acts like the BillboardGui’s AlwaysOnTop property is set to true.

2. Add the orbs back for the rotate tool.

3. There’s probably more but I can’t think of them right now :joy:

Please take my ideas into consideration, Roblox! Also, please heart the post if you agree with my ideas so I know who’s out there that agrees with me.

1 Like

I personally don’t have any issue with the rotate tool lacking the old handles and I actually find it easier to use without them because they declutter the gizmo. To guess why people are unhappy though, maybe the rings are a smaller and less obvious target than a large orb and are harder to click on for some, and rotating the ring feels less concrete than moving an orb on the ring and seeing it move along with your mouse.

I’m sure everyone can get used to these differences; everyone in this community inflates how annoyed they actually are when something changes. However, it would be helpful if anyone unhappy with the resize tool’s design could explain exactly why they don’t like that it doesn’t have huge orb handles. Nobody has really bothered to explain what they don’t like and why they don’t like it.

As an aside, one thing I do miss is the shading on the handles, previously it was a good frame of reference for where my camera was, and which handle was closest to the camera. It’s a little slower for me now to see which handle is the foreground one.

3 Likes

We will take a look at this. Do you happen to have a sample place you could send us with steps to reproduce it?

Could you let us know why it was harder for you to use? Out of curiosity, do you know that you can now grab and drag anywhere on the rotate rings to move them? You don’t have to just grab the intersection area where the orbs were?

Thanks for the feedback and note about the shading! As I’ve said in other posts, we have plans to continuously build on and improve these draggers, and we’ll take that into account.

Awesome. Do note though that the most useful aspect of the handle shading was that it helped me notice which handle was in front or behind. I also just remembered that IIRC, the old handles were also fully occluded by parts, which is also contributing to difficulty in seeing which handle is in the foreground. Currently I don’t think the transparency effect on occluded handles is obvious enough, it might be worth experimenting with e.g. making it more transparent, desaturating the color of the occluded handle, or particularly highlighting a smaller specific part of the handle through parts (for example, I think the old draggers had little squares that would show through parts).

Also I should mention since other people are complaining so much that the automatic resizing of the handles does not get in my way, and makes the tools easier to use.

I don’t really have a valid reason except that I practiced and built my experience building on Roblox Studio with those orbs, and it will take awhile to adjust to these new tools. I also strongly miss the little squares on the occluded handles and the invisible handles when through a block, as @PeZsmistic mentioned. They greatly contributed to my understanding of where the part was in the Workspace (is that what depth is?)

Not sure if this is related to the new draggers, but the studio selection tools within the 3D viewport don’t work if the parts you’re selecting are configured to not collide with the Default collision group.

More info here: Studio Selection doesn't work if CollisionGroup doesn't collide with Default group

We’ll look into it. Thanks for the bug report.

1 Like

I recognise that this is largely a nitpick, but since the new Studio cursor is a little larger, it can block some small parts if you’re far away enough.

We should be able to resize the cursor, or opt out to use the old cursor.

3 Likes

I believe you can set this at the OS level. The new draggers use the system default hand cursor.

1 Like

My cursor is as small as it can get, so I can’t really do anything about it

how can i access the framework for this to use in my own tools?