Say Hello to the New Lua Draggers

Could you DM me the relevant models in the second video?

1 Like

Please allow us to choose what system we want to use, I get you want to be like other 3d softwares but many people are used to the old, myself included, I’ve tried the new and it’s just frustrating more then anything, you can see my other posts above.

The selection tool moving and the fact it now goes into the other part instead of colliding is one of my biggest concerns, having to click in the “right spot” to get it to snap to a edge does not make it easier.

I don’t want to seem like I keep bugging but I. Seeing others saying the same about it being optional. Thanks for continuing to try to better Roblox

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is relevant to this specific topic and I apologize if it isn’t but I really dislike the new rotate tool, particularly due to the lack of spheres that you use to see on the x, y, z axes.

The new rotate tool just hurts to use, I could never know if a part is rotated 90 degrees or not, its just guesswork. Is there a way to revert to the old tool? Thanks

9 Likes

Looks like the new draggers are not finished.
We dont like the look of the draggers. We dont like how they work. We dont like the bugs it has. We dont like the rescaling of the draggers, as it is very uncomfortable to see and desorientates the developer.
Many people say that this is the worst update in a while and i agree.

6 Likes

Well I do not agree with you. It is better to speak for yourself. I am a veteran and I love these new tools. It is a better idea you talk about why you do not like the tools and give feedback.

@tnavarts The only thing I am not sure about is moving a model with the dragger, Sometimes it looks like the model snaps on the BasePlate based on a part inside of the model instead of the center of the model itself. I have no idea if this is intentional, but trying to select the model again until it snaps the way you want is possible, so I am not really annoyed about it. I think it would make it much easier if you could move the model from it’s center.

1 Like

You’re correct. What it actually does is snap based on the vertex in the object closest to where you clicked to start dragging it. This lets you snap by any feature of the object depending where you click on it. We should really add a UI element to make this clearer.

2 Likes

The draggers aren’t THAT bad, just kinda annoying. The community will probably get used to it, as they did with Rthro and other updates.

I can see how some veteran developers are uncomfortable with these changes. I am too, even though I haven’t been developing for very long.

The best solution would be to have an option to toggle between the two draggers.

The people that like the draggers could keep them and the people that hate them could use the old draggers.

So many people are asking to have an option and the staff are just talking about bugs and the orbs.

4 Likes

It just feels like in some ways Roblox is trying to modernise its software too quickly to look more “professional” and powerful without actually properly evaluating and testing the features (see the December 12th 2019 playerlist failure, Asset Manager being forced whilst it was incomplete, Compatibility still not meeting the key parts of Legacy (shinier plastic), a new lighting mode which doesn’t fall back to lower end devices properly, etc).

Roblox should consider better QA testing (i.e. internally within the company) before even shipping these features to the public as a beta release, as it is clear the current method of shipping new features is prone to causing bugs and/or the features not being ready to replace what came before them.

5 Likes

Fix this omg- I have the same issue

1 Like

Yes, I was wondering even why Roblox decided to do this. The old draggers, while a bit confusing and weird, were what people were used to. It’s not like people were making a bunch of posts saying “THESE DRAGGERS ARE BAD” before.

4 Likes

Yeah but- everytime i try to center a model with other model i cut that model and I paste it on the other so it is on the middle, centered, but with this update every time I try doing that it pastes in random places instead of the middle of the model what I selected- please fix this it’s very difficult to work like this-
And also while using control and move for scaling it also bugs- and the draggers being giant while zooming off are so uncomfortable-

1 Like

This was an unintentional change which I have a fix for on the way, before when you selected a part or model it would set the insert point, I unintentionally changed it to only do this when you edit the model / part instead. As a temporary workaround you can select the model with Move/Scale/Rotate and click on one of the handles to “set” the insert point before pasting.

1 Like

That’s because an option to toggle them is not happening.

The dragger codebase is very complicated given how many different use cases the draggers have to support, designing and implementing two different versions of every new dragger feature we need to add would not be feasible.

2 Likes

I have also felt uncomfortable with the size scaling, particularly with the rotate tool. I imagine it would feel less uncomfortable if the rotation handle size was only scaled when you are too close to the object, and when you are far enough away it is clamped to the object’s bounding box.

On the other hand, I actually think it looks good with the resize/move tools.

1 Like

Oh ok, i hope it’s fixed soon!

Unfortunately we just found an issue on macOS and have decided it’s significant enough that we’re pausing the broad release until we’ve fixed it. You can still opt-in to the new Lua draggers via the beta features.

3 Likes

As of 2 minutes ago the :crab: release is gone :crab:, if you restart studio you should be able to use the old draggers again.

You will have to use the beta features pane to access the Lua Draggers for the time being.

11 Likes

i’m so happy for this- i hope it stays like this ;;

Shame :frowning: really like the new draggers! Playing around with those via beta features in studio and they improve development for me significantly, especially the rotate tool although the empty space dragging feature doesn’t always work. Can’t wait to see it become a canon feature!

2 Likes

Why not allow us to pick what we wish to use? its not like they change the studio is a huge way, I like them both. But I don’t see the point of enforcing people to use something new?

2 Likes