Scale and Offset are reversed in the properties menu

Image of the problem:

Expection:
Size as a whole lists scale first, so I’d expect Scale to be shown before Offset when editing X and Y individually. I’m also used to coding with UDim2, which expects Scale to be entered in first as well. This makes editing UI through the properties window extremely frustrating because my brain is trained to type Scale in first. I find myself constantly accidentally typing the Scale value into the Offset section.

Time Frame:
This has been happening for me for a few weeks now. It was temporarily fixed for a little bit but then randomly started happening again. Unfortunately I’m unable to give a precise date because I kind of just ignored it for a while (put off editing UI and waited for a fix), all I can say is that I don’t think it’s any more than a month.

Reproduction Steps:
I didn’t do anything specific that would trigger this. It randomly started after a recent update (see time frame section above). I know this isn’t happening for just me, though - I reported the issue to a friend on Discord about a week ago and he said that he was seeing the same thing.

Note:
This seems like an obvious problem that would stick out to a lot of people, so I tried searching for existing reports about this issue but nothing shows up for my queries. If this has already been reported then kindly redirect me to the thread and I’ll remove this one.

Edit: A fix is pending in the most recent release notes (#466).

13 Likes

I thought I was going insane, I kept messing up my inputs when changing the size or position of a gui object. I hope this is just a bug that will be fixed and not a purposeful change because my muscle memory has really been thrown off.

1 Like

This doesn’t make much sense.
I understand the desire for alphabetical ordering, but in cases such as these it makes sense to follow the ordering in which the values appear left to right.

2 Likes

Ah, is that what happened? They alphabetized the properties menu so now Offset is shown before Scale? Not following the already established left-to-right ordering that is displayed in the Size UDim2 value is really throwing me off.

I believe the properties widget was recently overhauled to accommodate attributes and an unintentional side effect was that sub-properties have ended up alphabetically sorted. It is not an intentional change as far as I know.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

5 Likes

This issue should now be resolved! If this issue is still occurring, please create a new topic for us to look into.

3 Likes

I closed studio and got an update before opening a new place, but it doesn’t appear to be resolved for me - I’m still seeing the Offset property appearing before Scale. I feel reluctant to make a brand new post while this one is still relevant and currently shown in the recent section of #bug-reports, not to mention that this thread appears to have been closed and then re-opened. Please verify.

Edit: Appears to be a “Pending” update.

Alright i will pass that on to the engineers. When there is an update i will pass it on.

1 Like

A patch was rolled out to fix this issue this morning so this issue should now be resolved! If this issue is still occurring, please create a new topic for us to look into.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.