Scenes for Roblox Studio

If this is already a plugin, a feature, a planned feature, or a feature request, I apologize.

Scenes for Roblox Studio

Motivation

As a Roblox developer, it’s too difficult to manage your workflow in Roblox Studio. New features and plugins are constantly being created and/or added. While we can obviously “manage” our plugins and resize or close windows (widgets); developers have multiple windows (widgets) and plugins open simultaneously in studio. This leads to windows (widgets) and plugins taking up too much space on your screen. Furthermore, unnecessary plugins and windows (widgets) are left open, decreasing efficiency in your workflow.

Use Cases

• If you’re a solo developer with only one monitor or device, screen space is limited. A developer shouldn’t need a bigger screen or need to use a different device because they “can’t” have multiple windows (widgets) and/or plugins open simultaneously.
  • If you are constantly switching between building, scripting, animating, etc. you either have to close and reopen these windows (widgets) multiple times or deal with having them all open on your screen.
  • If you are testing your game, and want to visualize the entire screen without having to view unnecessary windows (widgets) and plugins, this is just not possible.
  • Developers have different workflows based on whether they are testing, creating new content, optimizing, building, scripting, animating, etc.
  • There is currently no easy way to switch which plugins and windows (widgets) you have open instantly. You have to manually go through and open, close, or resize them.

Sometimes these windows (widgets) are unnecessary and just make your screen feel cluttered.

Improved Developer Experience

If this issue is addressed:

• Working on a project individually will be a realistic option for developers.
  • Less time will be wasted opening and closing unnecessary windows (widgets) and plugins.
  • Developers will be able to create custom workspaces or workflows for whatever they may be doing in Roblox Studio.
  • Overall developer and studio efficiency will be increased.

Personal Solution

My solution is “scenes” for Roblox Studio. Think of it like the outfit creation menu in the Roblox Avatar Editor, or even like scenes from OBS.

Scenes would be either a window (widget) or tab in Roblox Studio. You would be able to create, update, merge, [edit?], [manage?], rename, or delete your scene. Your scene would save which windows (widgets) and plugins you had open at the time of creating or updating your scene. Scenes would be able to save the sizes and locations of your windows (widgets) and plugins instantaneously, based on which scene you select. They could potentially even sync across devices and/or change dynamically based on scene settings. They would increase overall efficiency of developers’ workflow. You could switch scenes based on whether you were working individually, working as a team, building, scripting, testing, or whatever. If you can create scenes, you can create more efficient workflows.

Scenes could be pushed to have dynamic settings, like:

• Whether or not scenes sync across devices.
  • Opening my most recent scene once I open studio.
  • Opening a particular scene whenever I open studio.
  • Opening a scene based on when I run or play test my game.
  • Opening a scene for based on the time of day.
  • etc., etc.

Motivation of Personal Solution

Scenes solve this problem efficiently. They would be more efficient than having to manually select which windows (widgets) and plugins you want open.

Scenes are scalable. They can be given a plethora of features (settings) to make them more frictionless and solve these developer issues in less time.

Scenes solve general workflow issues. Scenes can solve a various developer workflow and workspace issues.

Edits: Edits are me trying to add clarity to my post to better prove my point.
9 Likes