Scoped user access control for experiences & groups

To be clear, I know “Organizations and Permissions” is already on the roadmap, but I do want to highlight some of my (many) pain points:

• I want the ability to scope access to the Developer Console, in-game player list badge, GUI hiding, etc. (I’m a bit confused as to why this hasn’t been exposed through SetCore in some way already though.)
  • The ability to scope between “Analytics” and “Monitoring”, rather than being combined.
  • “Spend group funds” needs to obviously be split into view & spend. I also would hope for some of the weird behavior with it to be fixed.
  • A “Payout group funds” & “Configure Group” permission.
  • Proper read/write asset permissions. (The current “write-only” toggle in groups is confusing and restrictive to use on the user side because it doesn’t show up in the Creator Hub.)
  • Auditing should be easier and more verbose. I expect to see what was specifically changed in an audit log, not just that it was changed.
  • User vs Group experiences should have reasonable consistency in behavior. This behavior seems to keep changing somewhat frequently, on the user side, but right now on the user side I expect to:
    • Access avatar settings without being the place owner
    • Have scoped permissions for accessing analytics/monitoring
    • Audit Logs on user experiences (related: “Experience Activity History” on roadmap)
    • The ability to download certain place revisions through Web API, without reverting the place. This currently will return an unauthorized error. (This affects Studios feature for this in Game Settings → Places → Version History & third-party tools)

In general, I would like to see Roblox provide large amounts of flexibility with the scopes, I expect to be able to control most aspects of groups/experiences, and who can grant them. I really don’t want another Beta Feature that has a ‘Manage’ permission, to be removed after it comes out of beta and I don’t want everything locked/limited behind a single group owner role either.

If Roblox could resolve these issues, I would feel much safer and confident knowing nearly everything is not behind either a singular user or a few ‘nuclear’ permissions, while also being up to industry security standards.

11 Likes

Hey!

Thanks so much for this feedback; we agree that the future should be one of much higher granularity and customization. This is a lot of work, but it’s a strategic priority for us (as you mentioned; we’ve been hinting at this on the roadmap already).

You’ll see a large number of these improvements roll out incrementally over next year - starting quite soon into the year in fact!

Keep an eye out, and we’d love to have your feedback on the features as they come out :slight_smile:

1 Like