Screen sharing in Roblox

Yeah I have that down. I see your mesh is huge. Is that normal?

That is most likely because it is an .FBX, they aren’t really good at maintaining a nice size.

That’s why I recommend using .OBJ, but it seems like I didn’t do that there.
Most likely since I was rushing it a bit and wasn’t worried about the sizing of it, since I calculate the size in the actual script so that lower and higher resolutions will maintain an approximately similar size

Ah I see. I just used a single scaled down part and clone it as cmd bar cant set MeshId’s

Wow planes are SOO much faster. Im getting a crisp 60fps now.

1 Like

cool :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

little update: Screen Sharing!

I’ve open sourced it

I made a simmilar system awhile ago with @testingacc333330, based on the video (even though your display is slightly lower res than our tests) you managed to update more often, we had to do some weird janky interlacing to fake 30FPS (our display managed 5-10FPS updates)

Honestly this is pretty cool. It’s nice to see other developers trying to make live screens in roblox.
I’ve managed to so far play 190 X 90 @ 30fps in real time in studio and in roblox. (Up to 530 X 300 @ 30fps is possible, but the game can’t handle it.)

Although that took forever to make an efficient encoding / decoding system.
But the best part about it is that I managed to also get live audio working with it too, but it sounds terrible but voices are somewhat recognisable.

I’d suggest using this UI canvas roblox plans to add in as it seems to be quite efficient, and I suppose wait for roblox to improve sounds.
There are so many limitations with audio and video playback sadly, but none of the less, good luck with your system

Could I know a bit of how you make live audio, is it by sampling the current pitch and volume, and then sending it to Roblox?

Well it is related to pitch and volume. If you upload a sinewave at 200hz, you can adjust the playback speed from 1 - 2 (Anything out of these ranges makes the sinewave sound off)
So you could get frequencies from 200hz to 400hz.
Now with actually getting this information from your pc, you can use pyaudio if I remember correctly and use FFT to get the various frequencies and amplitudes.
I might have some old code from one of the versions I made in python, but my latest system uses javascript.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: Becareful when uploading the sinewaves to roblox. Roblox moderation system likes to flag these sounds as excessively loud when that isn’t the case, but this seems to apply to frequencies below 256Hz

Hey so, ive been trying to make a webserver compatible version of the code, and i was using render.com to do so, however it keeps throwing me server errors and so on and so forth. I spent days trying to figure it out but i just cant, my webserver and roblox just dont want to sit down and communicate.

Me and a friend have been trying to make some sort of program like this for ages. However, the biggest culprit in this is changing the color of objects in Roblox. it’s too slow for resolutions bigger than 144p basically which is really unfortunate. I’d love to see someone figure out audio vis because that would be the best thing to add to games, for certain reasons.

1 Like

Yo i kept this thread alive when it was dying, i am really happy people started to think about making this, i stopped making my project but with more knowledge i should remake it from scractch someday

1 Like

cool thing i like this idea we need audio now

1 Like

Can yalls tell me the code you did to do this? I asked while this post was new and it seems to have grown a lot

1 Like

I’m having problems with the screen. I’m not exactly sure HOW to explain it, but here’s a video.

1 Like

now we just gotta figure out how to do sound lol

1 Like

you can’t. unless you wish to get perm banned by making bots that upload the sound. (just don’t do it with sound)

2 Likes

you can replicate sound or music from waves (or beeps) using additive synthesis, although it is complicated to code (lemurmad gives a great example on how you would go about coding it)

hmmm… the roblox script keeps randomly stopping, i have to restart the game and i have no idea why