Screen Sharing!

Quite a while ago, I started working on a project. That project was this, I didn’t think I’d make it open sourced but since it was just laying there gathering dust I decided to let it see some light again by publicizing it!

It is quite simple to set up, if you do have any problems though please share them here so that you and other people that are having problems can have them fixed

More instructions are in the README.md

I would love to see what you guys can do with this and I would love it even more if you decided to contribute your own skills to the project

Use cases:

• Streaming your videos as a content creator
  • Streaming videos made about your game
  • Sharing your screen to users, without them needing to download 3rd party apps such as Discord

Examples:

Notes:

• This both works for sharing .mp4 and your screen

• I am not exactly a great python programmer, nor do I make a lot of open sourced projects, so I apologize if the documentation isn’t very great

• The main part of this project is the compression: which you can find more in the README.md file

• Lastly, and most importantly… I hope you enjoy it!

I’ve also included a small video, so that you can test it out

Note: Yes, this can lead to TOS violating content to be shown. But the same applies for stuff such as parts. Parts can also be used to create inappropriate shapes. If you show inappropriate content with this, then you will be rightfully moderated. Anything can break TOS, but not everyone will break it.

73 Likes

No way, screensharing, INSIDE ROBLOX? DUDE THIS IS SO USEFULL, if only there was a way to stream audio sadly no such thing will ever be possible.

No like seriously I don’t even wanna imagine how hard it was to make this possible via roblox’s limitations, I approve this resource.

11 Likes

Can you link a video that demonstrates the program? I’m quite skeptical of downloading other people’s work or material.

4 Likes

You can review the code yourself, since its open sourced. But before I open sourced this I did make another post about it: Screen sharing in Roblox

Just be aware that most videos there are quite old

3 Likes

Interesting project, I wouldn’t personally use this over Discord screen sharing or Zoom. Is there a reason why developers should use this resource? I’m not understanding how this could benefit other developers in their own projects.

3 Likes

It’s meant to share things with other users, without having to use 3rd party apps such as Discord.It can also offer streaming videos and other content that you would want to share in your game such as a new Youtube video made about your game.

You can also use this as a youtuber to stream your Youtube/Twitch stream directly in Roblox.

1 Like

Now that you’ve explained about your project in much more detail, I think this would be a very good system to add to a game with content creation. Do you think that if you added all of the detail of which you explained to me, into your introduction to the project, it would be more helpful and promote it a bit better? My intention of my replies to your thread were to help you improve your thread because it lacked some explanation about the project.

Have a good day.

3 Likes

I’m really interested, how fast is it at live sharing your screen?

3 Likes

It really depends on things like how many users are in the server, what the resolution is, what is the fps and also how good of a machine does the client have

So I would just recommend you testing this yourself and finding optimal settings for your use case

3 Likes

Alright, also do I change the local adress here? I already have my own domain that I port forward to.

Sorry, I’m not very familiar with port forwarding that much, but the IP in there is just the IP that it listens for requests at, so if you use something like PlayIt.gg it would fire your local IP when you use their services.

You can look more at the documentation of Gevent: gevent.pywsgi – A pure-Python, gevent-friendly WSGI server - gevent 23.9.2.dev0 documentation

I don’t have experience with port forwarding, besides using programs to do it for me since my ISP doesnt allow me to port forward. So I won’t be of much help here

1 Like

Yay congrats on finally releasing this!! It genuinely looks so useful and is gonna be a must have for so many devs

1 Like

Gonna have to check this one out ASAP. Very awesome!

Is there a video or pictures on this?

2 Likes

this is against the tos by the way

multiple games got banned for using this

3 Likes

Is this a website or what? I tried to go to playit.gg but it’s blocked in my country and I hate using VPNs

This is against the TOS btw, games got banned for this

and I would need video examples

3 Likes

Playit.gg is a sort of proxy (dont use it as a proxy), that is meant to be used for people that may not have permissions to port forward from their ISP,

also examples are here: Screen sharing in Roblox

it’s a website for some sort of proxy?

It is a program that you can run, which tunnels request from their website link that they generate for you into your IP, without needing to go through the steps of port forwarding, if you can even do it, since some ISPs may block it.

I would recommend reading more about it on their pages though

1 Like

you should change it from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0.