ScreenGuis within StarterGui during runtime do not render until selected

Reproduction Steps

1. Within a new place, create a ScreenGui within the StarterGui service.
  2. Create any UI element (e.g. Frame) within the ScreenGui so that it is visible on-screen
  3. Run the game (in run mode, not play mode)
  4. Notice that the ScreenGui is not visible
  5. While still in run mode, select the ScreenGui within StarterGui
  6. Observe that the ScreenGui now renders

Non-list version: Create a ScreenGui with something in it and run the game. It won’t be visible. Select it. Now it’s visible.

I am using the latest version of Roblox Studio on Windows 10.

Expected Behavior
ScreenGuis within StarterGui should render normally in run-mode just like they do in any other mode.

Actual Behavior
ScreenGuis within StarterGui do not render in run-mode until selected.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-04-01 00:04:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-06-16 00:06:00 (-04:00)

2 Likes

Can you provide a repro file? I cannot seem to replicate the error on my end.

Run mode, not play mode. Non-character. I’ll edit my post to clarify that.

When running the game, no player instances are created, you are still viewing it from the server’s POV: Thus, any local scripts wouldn’t be able to run.

Also, since no local scripts are run, I don’t get why you’d want GUI to render with the run button. It would be the same as in studio. You need to join with a player instance for the local scripts to initiate.

Correct, but that’s not the problem. I should still be able to see the ScreenGuis that are in StarterGui. If you select them, they render. That certainly is not the desired behavior, and in the past they would render without needing to select them.

Ok. Then I can confirm that this also glitches on my side.

Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue. I have a script that is trying to access the AbsoluteSize property of an object named “Example”. The AbsoluteSize is being reported in a print as (0,0), but it is definitely not that. It displays correctly in PlayerGui, but when trying to read the AbsoluteSize property from a script, its not the correct Size. When the “Sizing” frame or the “Example” frame inside it is selected in studio, then the AbsoluteSize property gets updated for scripts trying to access it.

I had a script that makes sure AbsoluteSize is not (0,0) in a while loop, because sometimes the size doesnt adjust to the screen size right away. Right now, just loops forever since AbsoluteSize is always (0,0) until the frame is selected.

I have some pictures too

This is before I select one of the frames in explorer. (Only Sizing and Example Frames refresh the value on select apparently)

and this is after

This bug is happening to me however it is also happening on SurfaceGuis for me.

Just following up!

This issue should be resolved now! If it comes back, feel free to make a new post, so we can have a look!

Thanks for the report and your patience!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.