Script Editor - Code Formatting Improvements and New Features

Yes! Please let Format button serve you!

4 Likes

This is truly amazing! Finally for once Roblox isn’t focused on the avatars.

2 Likes

What about the lag that occurs when you a lot of characters in the code editor while having show-whitespaces setting on?, will that be more optimized in the future?

1 Like

Will there be options to adjust how the formatter works in the future? It would be awesome to be able to enforce our own personal style guides.

5 Likes

Sorry for the mistake, we meant Ctrl+Space!

4 Likes

To everyone commenting spaces are evil: yes we know but that’s not what this thread is about.

3 Likes

Any news on when granular syntax highlighting is out? :eyes:

2 Likes

I’m mostly excited about the new copy and pasting, now I don’t have to freak out everytime I paste something with indents.

4 Likes

Yes. Thank you. I have been waiting for quite some time for this.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! finally! Improper indentation always bothered me, and now I don’t have to worry about that!

1 Like

Are multi-line cursors a thing?

2 Likes

Will automatic un-indenting be coming soon? (Really tired right now and can’t think of proper terminology)

Example from VSCode:
https://gyazo.com/ae570f8eb63855011ce106db03b8908c

2 Likes

Now I can finally read un-indented code! Great update! I wish there was an option to auto-indent code that’s not indented correctly.

Was reading about the “Quickly find your cursor” section, a helpful addition would be for the cursor position, as well as code errors, to be marked in the scroll bar as well, like VSC does.

1 Like

Woah… This is so cool !!! Finally something that can make us work faster without any annoying issues, Thank you roblox and happy birthday. we will always be thankful because you exist!

Wow! I dont’ know how long I have been waiting for these features! I am very exited that the script editor is getting some much needed love. Just this morning I was wishing for this nifty mass-tab feature! This will bring lots of helpfull QOL changes into my scripting workflow. Thanks for this amazing update!!! :roblox::roblox_light:

Oh no! They let the “space indenters” into roblox :face_vomiting:

All jokes aside, this is great. Any support for external source editors in the future though? :eyes:

1 Like

Easy Script Switching - This just made my day! Thank you!

1 Like

Seems like pasting text anywhere on a line will auto-indent that whole line, even if you’re not pasting at the beginning of that line or on a blank line.

This can be very annoying in scenarios where you have non-conventional indenting for whatever reason. If it’s pasted past the first non-whitespace character, it shouldn’t auto-indent that whole line.

Also, I would recommend adding a “paste without formating” hotkey (Ctrl+Shift+V) for scenarios where you just don’t want auto-indentation to apply.

edit: this may seem small, but it’s enough for me to disable “Format on paste” since it actively slows down my workflow. In general, anything that messes up the indentation I have set up manually makes me have to fight the auto-indenter constantly, making it not worth it to have features like this enabled.

4 Likes

A suggestion, make Format On Paste two operations. The first operation pastes it normally, and then it formats. This way if you don’t like the formatting, you can just Ctrl+Z and get it unformatted.

2 Likes