Script Editor: Luau-Powered Autocomplete & Language Features Beta

This is fantastic. The lack of good auto complete was one of my biggest frustrations with the Roblox script editor.

3 Likes

This is a welcome change. However, how does this play into more complex modules (if at all)? I am not sure of if this is completely related, but I assume it is. I have an exceptionally large module (108 functions contained in the table it returns, one of which is __tostring and the rest are methods, 1 table which is __index).

If I try to require this module, I get an error stating the module does not return one value despite this being incorrect (it returns the main table that contains all the module’s exports and whatnot). I can privately submit the place file that this occurs in if desired. Consequently, this module can’t be used in autocomplete because it can’t figure out the type. This occurs to two of the modules in this file, both of which have a rather high amount (100+) of exported methods. The API is not particularly simple and so splitting this up is not an easy option; this module serves as the sort of “master control unit” for everything and must have all of these methods centralized.

2 Likes

I noticed this when I woke up today, very good improvements to Roblox Luau and some excellent improvements of the ui. I don’t have any questions to give on this post. This is a life saviour for me and many others because of the fact that this lists so much new features we’d love to have.

1 Like

Could there be a way to change the width of the autocomplete box? I’m fine with the font I’m using having broken ellipsis, but showing only ~22 characters? This feels way too cramped.

so_small

1 Like

I think I should accept using it as any or table and func because Its don’t have many attributes.
local tb:table
`local funcTest:func’

1 Like

I actually paused my current work just to find this post, and comment this:

I’ve been coding in Roblox since 2008, and this is possibly the greatest positive impact an update has given to my experience and productivity as a scripter, as far as I can remember.

A strong and well deserved pat on the back to the entire team. Thank you for this update.

6 Likes

I might come out as an outlier for the opinions but I find that the font in the autofill fits well because it stands out:

xWfHj7BwjIw55bPQsi6JG8y1HoFRneRXuueNwa_6gGL-FstAxpLb3GB0nlDG3uYmLR4jWXXKO7S6Ij1Nr-D_9U6OzNn7nSWg5jG67P14cqEVkh5bjCPiuqmvR7QYBPpG53N7ykLq

(I can’t take a screenshot because any input disables the autofill box. Maybe make it so it doesn’t do that, at least on modifier keys)

1 Like

We have a fix prepared that will make this work.

1 Like

Wow, I really wanted a update like this and it finally came out!

1 Like

We have a fix for this as well, should be enabled soon.

1 Like

That’s an annoying bug.
It will be fixed in an update next week.

2 Likes

When I try to type game:Get it suggest me GetActor instead of GetService is it possible to fix that?

5 Likes

Very impressive update, huge props to the team. This really makes the Studio Editor the king in terms of intellisense.

For half a second, I considered moving back to using Studio instead of VS Code.
Then I remembered Studio still doesn’t have git and files, so no. I need my GitHub. It’s a shame to see these great editor features being held in front of me, knowing that I can’t use them since it would mean giving up so much else.

16 Likes

Great update, love it :slight_smile:

Will you be adding support for getting scripts through WaitForChild, such as when you get scripts from replicated storage on the client

2 Likes

Was wondering why it kept saying GetActor instead of GetService :rofl:

1 Like

One small problem is that it is recognizing it as a join between numbers and tables rather than just identifying the number or the table.

Only 1 thing that is missing from this amazing feature, image
It needs the AutoComplete on “PlayerGui”

These are Roblox functions that are applied when starting the game, rather than capturing some player’s playergui, I would recommend using the CoreGui service.image

This beta kills every Studio instance with a sizable amount of code.
This game just refuses to unfreeze if I have it enabled.

2 Likes

It released… I haven’t enabled anything and I got it.