Script Editor: Luau-Powered Autocomplete & Language Features Beta

Thank you for the report, we are going to fix this in the next update.

We are working on a fix for this as well.

2 Likes

Hey! I’m not sure on whether this is the right place for this as I don’t have access to the bugs category, but I’d like to point out an issue with the APIs for task.spawn & task.defer erroneously warning that you can only input one argument, when in reality you can input up any arbitrary amount.

1 Like

@JoolCaat , @grif_0 autocomplete should work for ‘x["name"].’ now, can you check if it works for you?

1 Like

Oh yea I been having weird warnings like this all the time, I have no clue how to disable them it’s been happening for me for months

Just tested it and it does indeed work. Thanks for the speedy fix.

Last thing, do you by any chance know anything about this?

2 Likes

Got some feedback, it seems that double-clicking sometimes will not select the entire word. For example:

1 Like

Got a problem, tho.

So if you add an if-statement and then add an else to the following, the auto-completion just autocorrects it to ElapsedTime().

Anyway, this is an advantage. So, I don’t need to create a new function just to see what order I have to put the input. I mean, if you create a function and input the first one, the UI just disappears until you skip to the next input. That happened to me.

1 Like

I have an Intel MBP and I have had an issue like this, it was the colour setting for some reason, have you tried changing it? Apple RGB works well in my experience.

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 5.48.37 PM

Works, you’re a legend.

I also have an issue with only the new version, where it is auto completing with the wrong symbol, unless remote functions have been changed and I didn’t know. But another thing to note here is it looks like the new version is missing the useful behavior where it would check the context of the script and hide properties accordingly.

(not autocompleting properties that should be indexed with . and not hiding OnClientInvoke which should be hidden)

we will be able to customize the menu? I think the text it’s way too big and seems hard to read, I would like an option to increase the border size & change the max vertical size of the menu

There is an issue with Callback functions. We have a fix ready, but sadly this one will be delayed for one update after the next one.

This will be cool, we’ll collect and evaluate suggestions from this topic for additional improvements.

When commenting out a line of code that indents the next line, indentation after that will be wrong

Arrow functions in the future ?

I’ve discovered something rather tedious, when typing the word else in, ElapsedTime pops up, and when return is pressed, it replaces else.

Also, ElapsedTime doesn’t include “else” other than removing “ap”(ElsedTime), is that normal?

4 Likes

I’ve came across another really annoying “bug”. It always suggest me repeat on first place rather than return and it is slowing my workflow a lot.

5 Likes

Yes, if the cast doesn’t have a type error. For example, if ‘a’ is an Instance, ‘(a :: Script).’ will show Script properties.

No, but our team is working on methods to resolve that. Simple cases are simple, but we need to cover some tricky ones with user defined functions if they happen to have overloads or are generic.

Yes, we do have long term plans for that, but it won’t come immediately.

Yes, they even behave like generic functions in some contexts right now (calling them for example).

We might add generics where appropriate, like for RBXScriptSignal and Instance:Clone.

That function signature should be better now (without magic numbers like 360).

childAdded should display as deprecated already.
getChildren and remove aren’t right now, thank you for letting us know, we’ll add this as a bug.

Can you provide a small standalone example?

No.
I can see what the problem is, we are going to address that.

No.

This is a known issue, no ETA on the fix, but we have people working to resolve this.

Should be possible, we’ll look into it.

9 Likes

We do not plan to add arrow functions.
Previous discussion on this topic: [Luau] Add arrow/lambda functions - #18 by WheretIB

2 Likes

So far I’ve been testing out this feature and I like it a lot but I have suggestion, when writing a global like game it will also show it’s deprecated equivalent
It would be better in my opinion to make it show only when you try to write the deprecated equivalent
And autocomplete with the correct one.

2 Likes

This is awesome!

I’ve been reading the Luau wiki, but can’t find a way to have one type inherit stuff from another type. I know pre-baked Roblox types seem to already have this (ex: Part extends BasePart, extends Instance). Is this already a thing? If not, is it planned?

EDIT: Looks like you can use the “&” operator to do this! (see linked post if ur curious)

4 Likes

The script editor has always felt lacking so this is a pretty sweet update!

1 Like