Script Editor - New Foundation and First Features

Super exciting improvements!

This is one of the things I enjoyed about VSCode, as it has helped me immensely, that way I don’t need to copy and paste text to put it in the right place.

There are a couple more things that would be awesome to see such as pressing (Ctrl+Alt+ Up/Down arrow) would clone the line or text you have selected in the appropriate direction (up/down)

And this, (a gif to just explain its usage)

28 Likes

You know, I think all of our scripting needs would be met if Roblox just let us use external software for the IDE instead of having to get plugins to do it.

11 Likes

Is there any chance that we can pop the script editors out, and move them to a different screen?

3 Likes

Nice, thanks to everyone to worked on this!

Nice to see its not just the home/front page (still needs a lot of work on it) being updated!

This is cool. Much needed.

However, I don’t know if seeing whitespace is the way to go. I’d prefer a cleaner view than to see arrows and such. Seems a bit weird.

I wish the editor was a bit more like VSCode and less like notepad++. While notepad++ is okay, it’s not the best in terms of UX or visual appeal.

Other than that, neat changes!

1 Like

Thank you. :pray:

Are there eventual plans to add more hotkeys to the editor (like ones to delete or clone lines, perhaps), or should I file a feature request for those?

Also, what are the odds of us getting a toggle for using spaces/tab characters when tab is pressed? I prefer to use spaces instead of tabs for indenting (some places make tabs absurdly long, which isn’t great for copy/pasting code snippets) and it would be nice to have that be an option in the script editor.

That’s negation; the error means you’re trying to do something like -(function() end).

How does the mnemonic “unm” indicate negation? I mean, what is the intuition behind the naming?

All completely rolled out. We may explore beta approach in future releases, but in this particular case, most of the release is actually behind-the-scenes infrastructure that just makes things faster. The user visible features are all additive, and thoroughly (and automatedly) tested in advance of this release. There may be some corner cases we missed – and we REALLY want to hear about these! Enhancement suggestions would be amazing too (already tracking quite a few, thanks!).

We are really excited to land this, as it opens the door for us to begin landing changes that really move the needle on what it means to be a script developer in Studio.

3 Likes

Please file a FR for this! Those are both excellent suggestions.

1 Like

I believe there is a ticket for this – but please file a FR for this as well. Thank you!

1 Like

It appears items inside parenthesis on multiple lines aren’t auto indented correctly, and end up as:

table.insert(
tab,
)

rather than:

table.insert(
	tab,
)

This is frustrating because I list out long argument lists on multiple lines quite often.

13 Likes

I’m also experiencing this issue!

https://gyazo.com/d8b9c85da5e094644d68d7f83dde39d6

Amazing update. I am glad that this is released.

Thank you a lot. So many times I had to copy and paste some code throughout scripts and have to fix the intent of the code block.

This can be a useful feature. I cannot think of a use right at this moment, but I bet this will be useful in the future.

Something that I would love to see being added is a comment shortcut like in VS Code. You can press Ctrl + / in order to single comment lines, or Ctrl + Shift + / in order to make a comment block. This would be very useful.

Another thing that I would love to see which is probably not going to happen is multi-line editing. You can put your “cursor” (the little line that indicates where you are on a text document) in multiple positions and whatever you do will affect all of those lines.

Other than my suggestions, I appreciate this update, especially these ones:

Cheers and thank you.

2 Likes

This will be very useful for new developers as they will learn how formatting code really looks like and the reason behind it.

unknown
it seems like commenting code and pressing enter after it does what is shown in the image
it pushes the commented end forward, alongside the – that marks it as a comment

I believe you can already comment lines by pressing ctrl + shift + c (press them again to uncomment)
it works with multiple lines

3 Likes

Done.

Duplicating line request is here. Deleting line request is here. Toggle for spaces vs tabs is here.

My best guess is that it’s unary minus, meaning minus (-) with one operator. It’s a bit of a dumb name to expose in error messages, but it’s the internal name. You could file a feature request to change it if you want.

As @kisty1 said that shortcut already exists in Studio. You can actually customize it to be Ctrl+/ by going to Customize Shortcuts... in the Advanced menu of Studio:
From there just search Comment and set it to Ctrl+/.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Improvements scheduled for this.

4 Likes

I am very happy about this update! One thing I would love though is if the whitespace setting was split into three, allowing more control over where it is visible. I personally don’t want to see whitespace between keywords. Great update overall.

3 Likes

That is already possible, click and drag the script title at the top when the script is open.

3 Likes