Script Editor - Semantic Highlighting and Temporary Tabs are now in Beta!

Thanks, I wasn’t aware.

No, the issue is the script editor opening at all, which is jarring and rips me out of whatever work I’m doing that is focused on the viewport. I’m often doing a lot of hierarchy work around scripts, e.g. moving them alongside other instances, selecting to rename / change properties, and expanding and collapsing trees (which can be error prone for me, I often select the instance instead of clicking on the expand/collapse caret by accident since it is small). Sometimes I just click around to select things naturally while thinking, and it’s distracting that the script editor opens when that was not my intention.

In all of these situations with the current behavior I end up opening the script editor when I did not want to. I find this single click behavior extremely jarring and unexpected. Since Studio is not a solely code-focused environment, me getting launched into a coding environment with a single click when my intention is completely different is very undesired and interrupts my workflow, especially since I then need to manually switch back to the viewport tab. The tab changing without my explicit desire pulls me out of my work and makes me waste time changing it again.

2 Likes

This is possible through the Customize Shortcut menu!

4 Likes

Hey @jumbopushpop112! Do you mind elaborating on the problem and maybe posting a screenshot or a video please?

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback @PancakeCommand! We’ll add a way to disable it but is there anything we can do to help with removing the clutter or make it less frustrating to use?

1 Like

Yes, I can share one. Whenever I try to resize properties I am not able to.

1 Like

This is most likely completely unrelated to the script editor, and is in fact this old problem: Properties widget multiple screens in width; cannot make it smaller

Wait, so that annoying click-to-open script isn’t in Beta anymore? So that means it’s forced on?

Please add a toggle for this. I discovered the Beta feature for it a couple of days ago or yesterday and quickly disabled it since it disrupted my workflow with thousands of scripts just popping up when all I want to do is rename them.

1 Like

??? It’s in beta. It’s under the Script Editor Beta Features.

1 Like

Oh wait… sorry my brain finally comprehended the title properly.

I thought this was the final forced release of it since I had already discovered the Beta featured a couple days ago :sweat_smile:

EDIT: But yes, when this gets out of Beta please add a toggle.

Not to worry - there’s going to be a toggle before it gets out of Beta.

2 Likes

I am not really getting much joy from the temporary tab feature.
Whenever i want to delete an unwanted script it will always open it up and not let me interact with the explorer object(script)
I’d love to be able to open up a recent script though. Sometimes i accidentally close it out and have to find it again, so it gets really annoying.

Tho, even if i mostly use red and white colors for the code and had to remake all my colors an hour ago, it’s a nice little touch.

local foo = type foo = type
7 Likes

Hello @darkmodeonn,

I guess I’m just going to give feedback on Temporary Tabs. (I might put this into a feature request as it’s severely affecting my workflow). I am a terrain designer, and I use special tools to import my terrain into roblox. I often use the .OBJ Importer to render my terrains before converting. This requires pasting a ton of lines into the script editor. (Which was already broken for me before this!) Usually, when it doesn’t crash, it freezes studio for a few minutes before letting me close. These scripts are usually 1.4 million lines long. With this new feature, selecting the script in the workspace so it’s highlighted causes temporary tab to open, which freezes my studio, and un-highlights the script, so I have to repeat this process over and over. (I need to select it for the .OBJ loader plugin. I need to be able to turn this off. It’s currently killing my workflow. If you have any questions or need specific details/want me to share the script I’m trying to run, please let me know.
Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

…I stand corrected. :sweat_smile:

May as well delete my Roblox account now tbh, there’s no coming back from that one.

9 Likes

Don’t feel too bad - you had me fooled, too. :rofl:

8 Likes

It’s a pretty good heuristic in this case :slight_smile: But yeah to run a 100% correct semantical highlighter you’d need to run a full parse, which can be problematic for performance reasons unless you can scope it to a few lines around the code you’re editing, and also requires a parser that tolerates mistakes in the input text so that you don’t lose highlight information as the text is being edited.

8 Likes

I just opened up studio today and wrote a simple script for a tutorial I am making. When I opened the script editor, I noticed this:

Lots of stuff have turned completely black…

My settings are at default and I have changed it a few times then back to default with no solution. I am not so sure of the default colors, which I have been used to for almost 6 years, which kinda threw me off :man_shrugging:

Anyone willing to share the default colors or Roblox staff being able to find about the problem?

1 Like

Will we be getting a Code Mini-map anytime soon? It’s one of the features that makes me want to use a Rojo workflow, as I have gotten so used to using it in Visual Studio:

OY2jQ68nTi

Edit: Meant to reply to OP, sorry.

7 Likes

Some quirks with the new semantic highlighting I found to be annoying:

Roblox currently has ‘Operator color’ take into account parenthesis but this is inconsistent w/other external editors such as VSCode, which don’t consider this an operator and therefore allow you to set operators to their own color.

VSCode:

Studio:

If I change studio’s operator color to the same as my VSCode color:

Too much pink!!

--TODO comments should also highlight the entire line, not just the individual word

This lowkey weird w/out the entire line.

But otherwise this is fantastic stuff guys!! Great work all around - I’m excited to see where this goes :smiley:

6 Likes

Hmm, it looks like your settings didn’t load properly somehow. I will investigate that, but for the time being resetting them should resolve that.

4 Likes