Script Editor - Semantic Highlighting and Temporary Tabs are now in Beta!

24 Likes

Thanks for the feedback - that’s actually a bug in the current beta which should be fixed soon. The Explorer view is supposed to keep focus when you’re opening a temporary script.

7 Likes

A brand new beautiful and wanted change to the script editor. Very interesting update. Liking what I’m seeing so far!

4 Likes

Really? There’s no ambiguity during parsing, so it should be relatively easy to differentiate between type as an identifier and type as a keyword (if it has an identifier after it, it’s a keyword). I don’t see a performance hit there unless you’re doing something weird behind the scenes?

4 Likes

Really cool!

One thing I ran into a lot was that deleting and copying scripts is now really unintuitive.
I ran into this issue so much in an hour that I went and turned off the beta feature because it was just breaking my workflow.

If I want to delete a script then I need to click it, click it again - which usually starts renaming it - click it again to stop the rename, and then press delete. The same for copying.

Simply clicking a script and pressing Ctrl C or Delete interacts with the editor, not the script object itself.

5 Likes

I enabled the new script highlighting feature on Studio, how do I what theme I want?

Can this be disabled in settings at all? This sounds like a real pain during my workflow, given that I often want to quickly add/remove children from a script without changing my context from the main 3D viewport. I wouldn’t want this feature at all, since I can already double-click a script if I really want to open it.

7 Likes

Is there any way to turn off temporary tabs? These are the new bane of my existence, good lord. I hope people find this useful but I would like to single-click my scripts without opening my code. Everything else is cool I guess, but the temporary tabs thing kills any joy I’d have from this announcement otherwise

E.g. you want to disable/enable a script during studio runtime? You either have to: left click and preview your code, then exit out the IDE then disable your script, OR right click & close the context menu & then toggle disabled

10 Likes

Yes, that’s true. In reality, it’s a bit more complex than “Performance reasons,” but I can’t discuss all those details here.

If there’s enough interest, we can absolutely Just Make It Work™ - that’s why we have the public beta: To gather feedback on what our community deems important.

6 Likes

Ah. In that case, I absolutely find it valuable to have to be semantically highlighted, since I use both types and the function, but if you have to choose one or the other, I vote to highlight it as an identifier since that’s what most people will encounter it as.

4 Likes

This should be disabled when shift clicking or ctrl clicking. It totally ruins being able to select multiple instances in the explorer.

24 Likes

I think the intent was that its lighter compared to the other ones. Still… a little odd.

A good Quality of Life addition that I personally miss every time I’m using the script editor is “Close all tabs to the right”. I use this alot in VSCode and Chrome when browsing; and it would make my workflow more efficient if this was a feature.

13 Likes

I don’t really see a use case for the temporary tabs feature

8 Likes

that throws me off when cloning scripts, especially since I use rojo for most of my game

please add a setting to disable single-click open on the explorer

18 Likes

Also, Ctrl+W has always annoyed me. I would prefer that closing scripts worked like closing Chrome tabs where it moves right (if there is one), otherwise it moves left. In Studio, it reverts back to whatever tab you had opened before it. This doesn’t let me spam-close my scripts like I would Chrome tabs after finishing an essay.

bad4

24 Likes

Lovely update! Definitely like to see some attention to the script editor. I do really like the Temporary Tabs as it looks like it will make life so much easier to keep the clutter away. I never like more than 4 scripts open lol. Alright gonna go admire those themes :eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, there will be an option to remove the binding for the hotkey when we add it :smiley:

5 Likes

The nice thing with temporary tabs is that when you make an edit to a temporary Script, it automatically becomes permanent so it doesn’t disrupt your workflow!

5 Likes

Would there be support for porting external script editors, such as VSCode, Sublime etc.? Not to be rude, but as Roblox isn’t prioritizing just the script editor, it’s always gonna be falling behind industrial-level script editors. A lot of other platforms support porting, and it saves a lot of time (e.g not having to install plugins etc. such as Rojo).

Thanks!

6 Likes