Script Verification For Models

Hi there! As someone who makes games, I need to make sure there is never a malicious script that puts me, my team or my game at risk. I think roblox should so something about it so im making this post. This post will cover how I think we could stop some of the malicious scripts from getting into games.

The Problem
The problem is, sometimes, people cant make everything themselves so they use a free model or 2. This is a problem because in my experience, almost every single free model is packed with scripts that are unnecessary and or contain harmful text and code. This could ruin someones game or get them hacked if they dont notice this. Ive talked to a mod about this and they said just remove it but I want a way to reduce the amount of malicious free models.

My Proposed Solution
I believe that Roblox should implement a verification system whenever you upload models with any scripts in them. This would prevent bots from spam creating malicious free models. That would get rid of some but not all. Another thing Roblox should do is get a bot system to analyze every script in that model and search for keywords that could mean that the script is malicious. Whenever I see them, they always are in a “Rotation” object and usually say ProperGr?mmerNeeded. Or in the script search for inappropriate words or commands that could ruin a game like Kick all repeated infinitely.

Feedback
Tell me what you think of my solution. Would it work, would it not.

If roblox does implement this it would probably save us from some game destroying malicious code.

2 Likes

I don’t think that your proposed idea is really the solution to this problem. Having mods review all script won’t scale to the size that Roblox is.

Your idea for analyzing scripts is good. However, your proposed method for going about that wouldn’t work. You could probably parse the script into AST and then detect things that could be malicious. Another option could be a machine learning model that searches for common patterns of malicious scripts.

5 Likes