Script version improvements

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to read changes between two versions of the same script. I have two main requests here:
1. View the whole script, with everywhere a change was made being visualized in-line

The problem here is it is next to impossible to gauge the context of what changes you’re looking at.
Here is an example of a change I was just looking at within Robloxian High School.

For the simple one-line changes, it makes sense. Yes, I can see that variables were changed. But when it comes to actual functions that have had blocks modified, I need to be able to view the whole function to understand why changes were made.

This is a screenshot of the two versions being compared against each other on diffchecker.com. Immediately I understand what changes were made and why. Just because I’m able to view the changes in-line of where the actually live.

2. Select two non-sequential versions of the script to compare

Studio only allows you to compare a version with its previous version. This is extremely limiting when trying to view what has been changed when a change was written over multiple script versions. With that same ObjectProjectile module, there are two versions of the script committed that contain changes for a single task.The only way for me to understand what has been changed is to read the changes for each version in order.

If Roblox were able to address these issues, studios would be able to develop better games by allowing managers to give quicker and better code feedback to their engineers.

20 Likes

Script versions have been out for a substantial amount of time but have received nearly zero update. I often have to resort to opening diffchecker and copy/pasting two script versions to get any meaningful diff of the two. If Studio supported this workflow my life as a programmer would be improved when trying to understand changes.

2 Likes