ScriptGuid "%X%" invalid. Replaced with "%Y%" error flooding & spamming every server

There following error is flooding our game right now, which is causing undesired amounts of traffic to flood into our external systems.

It looks like it is happening in every server consistently.

8 Likes

Same thing for me, it’s showing up in the client output.

4 Likes

the message should now only be displayed in studio.

6 Likes

Gone for me now in-game, thank you. Does this message mean anything important? (as in does it indicate there is a problem with our scripts?)

4 Likes

it shouldn’t be an issue with the scripts. The game engine shouldn’t be generating these invalid values. It’s possible it did in the past or maybe some 3rd party tools generated them. The updated value should get used if you save/publish the place/asset.

5 Likes

We still have problems with Script GUID spam - and this is in a place created in September 2020 and been actively worked on since then.

So the engine is still generating invalid values in some cases, not entirely sure what cases though.

Edit: It does not spam in Studio, but when Team Testing.

Just the same for us: We are experiencing it in TeamTesting but not in regular Studio tests (play or server tests).

We are getting these errors as well.

It only happens in Team Testing. Does not occur on Local Testing.
@ConvexHero is this something we should be concerned about?

Probably not. The guid is now used as part of a filename in the drafts feature. As a result it is now forced to be a guid vs a user supplied string containing “…/” or characters invalid on certain filesystems. The message was intended to display any suspicious non-guids as well as help engine developers track down any issues with changed guids and drafts.

Not sure where the double guid comes from or why the mixed case. It’s a bug that should be fixed of course.

4 Likes

I’m getting this error as well in the server output. Client output seems fine.

1 Like

I too am getting the message on my game’s server console

2 Likes

There is a minor change coming that will silence this message when the guid is in that format. That said, I’ll have to look into how the result gets an empty string.

–edit: just a logging bug /wrt the empty string.

8 Likes

Looks like this is an exploit, now, as it’s massively lagging, and eventually crashing, servers of games I’ve seen it in. If it’s just a logging bug, it’s a resource-intensive one.

Nevermind. Unrelated issue. Apologies.

Hello! Issue is being investigated. Thank you for your patience.

7 Likes

Same thing is happening in my game. Publishing did not resolve the issue, and I’m currently only getting it locally in the game client, not in Studio nor with a test server in Studio (non-TC).

1 Like

Issue surfaced today for the first time in my game - It seems to be occurring regularly in-game (Normal game server, not studio) and only locally.

Mhm, ran some simple tests and it looks like the scriptguid is referring to a localscript. Any enabled localscript that is in the game will produce that warning. If you had a localscript that was disabled, then cloned and enabled, it will print that warning. If the localscript is in a module and you’re requiring it from your inventory then it won’t print an error.

Same. This bug is happening in EVERY server I join:

I’m getting this error as well, renders my game unplayable

This issue is happening in the server-side of my game, so it’s not only a client-side issue. It used to only display those errors in the client console on studio, now it is showing on client and server console in a normal server session, not in studio.