Scripting Support Tier System

The forum in the past couple years since the forum acceptance pretty much became a free-for-all (which yes, the time timing of the beginning of my development career caused me to benefit from this) has seen exponentially rising numbers of users and other things. However I digress… The main issue I am addressing here is of #help-and-feedback:scripting-support now I know other channels such as #development-discussion and #help-and-feedback:cool-creations have come under fire lately due to some posts being somewhat useless and comedic which again I have been guilty of however after reading this article by @Krunnie which made me double take some of my own contributions on the developer forum and how I should be making meaningful posts all of the time and not some times.

But to get back to the point of this post the #help-and-feedback:scripting-support category has become no exception to this as people will reply and make non-contributive responses in order to potentially help their stats, and most of the time I feel they are genuine but people should be spending more time on answering questions, and not immediately rushing to get the answer and collecting the solutions. Furthermore there has been an issue of re-occuring instances of the same question, and this creates alot of spam as certain higher level programmers who are willing to answer questions but don’t necessarily want to answer questions that are un-necessary and already solved in another instance. It’s also part of the category info

I feel to fix this issue it might be appropriate to add some kind of tier system and I know this would have to work similar to how being regular works, but if there was certain post consistency criteria of making good and decent posts would be rewarded by moving up a tier, and there would be different subcategories for more difficult level scripting questions that people might just want to get the answer from a credible source instead of wasting there time, and people feeling that the question is close to being solved anyways.

If this solution isn’t viable or realistic than we need to have some kind of other alternative since quite frankly the forums have become like the comments of a Mr. Beast video where someone will reply in half a second for the potential to have their comment seen over others and their stats increasing - The forum isn’t a game and shouldn’t be treated as such.

Other 3rd party forum alternatives which have become obsolete as a result of the forum becoming a free for all acceptance such a scripting helpers have had systems like it an they work well. However the side effect of the forum becoming a free for all is that as I said its obsolete so we have to make the more mainstream approach more effective.

I know this post might catch some criticism and I am fully aware of that but post quality isn’t something that should be overlooked.

5 Likes

This seems like a good idea but then people will want a tier system for building support and then they’re gonna want one for art support and then every section will have its own tier system.

I get that people post bad replies in many categories but that’s what the trust levels are for (member, regular, etc…) to see how trusted someone is in the DevForum community, and there doesn’t have to be another system.

Yes, I know however regulars profiles arent as distinguished as maybe a staff maybe so it might be hard to discern whether they are a regular, however this doesn’t even matter considering the regular system is broken.

Also building support is fine since that is artistic input same with art support also scripting support has the issue far more times than that the latter of building support and art design support.

1 Like

Hey there! Happy to know that this little PSA of mine helped you rethink some of your actions on the DevForum. That’s the first step to growth :wink:

Personally, I find this idea really cool but there is some stuff that I feel like you should know and elaborate on. What would be the criteria for that? We all face the same question of what makes x an advanced y. I feel like you should elaborate more on that. To be also honest with you, with Roblox going full automation, that idea would probably end up being a burden to the categories within themselves. Someone could also cheat their way to the top and misuse the most advanced category if they do so.

Personally, I don’t think so. One Forum can’t make everything obsolete if you still have other forums and websites dedicated to Roblox development.

3 Likes

I think you’re forgetting that the concept of leveling in the first place is the main reason for the unprofessional competition on the forum. If you want my opinion, I’m against any addition of leveling or tiers to the forum. This is only going to increase the “grinding” aspect of it.

I personally think the only efficient way to get back to the old state of the forum is to revert to the old application process.

If the argument is made that accessibility to development help is a must, I would argue that people who are not willing to use the resources that are publicly available to make a decent quality application can get instant access to sites like scripting helpers where the responses they receive will more than likely match the quality of the posts they are contributing.

1 Like

Oh wow! Nice to see you replied :wink: !

I feel the criteria for the tier system would be as stated previously and to add “consistent contributions” as well as informative contributions gaining these tiers would have to be a one off chance and there is some potential for automation of this system potentially a vouching system which would allow users of the higher categories to vouch for a user and if they are vouched enough for their contributions to the community they would be moved up a tier.

Also I do agree with you that the forum can’t make everything obsolete but I feel that it being a free-for-all it has somewhat monopolized the “development forum” space ( or a place for developers to gather and help out other developers. )

1 Like

Yes… you could say that I am “forgetting” the grinding aspect alltogether but if it were maintained properly there would have to have some level of sincerity to be able to progress through the system, and you can’t just be making crap-posts constantly to do so or you might risk being downvoted as I mentioned in my last reply to Krunnie.

I appreciate your input nonetheless, and you do make a valid point so Thank you.

1 Like