Search Bar Feels Misleading

As of this topic’s writing, there has been a new search bar that opens up a pop-up once you click anywhere in the red rectangle:

Ad you may have guessed from this topic’s title, it feels very misleading and not UX friendly. Traditionally, search bars that would not open up a pop-up looked like this:

Whereas search bars that would open up in a pop-up typically appear like so:

Why is this the case?

1. Past experience dictates patterns and expectations- because most search bars follow the system above you’d expect to type in the box on the top right.

2. The existence of both a space ample enough to type in and “preview” text also makes one assume that you’re meant to type in the box.

3. Conversely, the non-existence of a search bar and “preview” text implies a pop-up will be expected.

When clicking on the “search bar” you get this pop-up:

Again, misleading. Most people certainly wouldn’t expect this to occur, however cool it looks (It looks great!)

The UI is fantastic but the UX just falls short. In synopsis: Use a magnifying glass icon instead of the current fake-text box and sample text.

Thank you!

20 Likes

Even then, it feels weird to have a button/text box at the top right and the actual search bar popping up in the middle of your screen, especially on a desktop. In the DevForum, when you click the search button, you do a simple search in the pop up that appears at the top right with the button, but on mobile it’s fullscreen. The DevHub should do that, where desktops have it at the top right, which is plenty of room.

However, I do like that pop up though, I’m not saying yo change its look or functionality, just its position.

2 Likes

Hey,

Thanks for your thoughts here! I think this is definitely an interesting conversation, so I’ll follow up with the team. :slight_smile:

15 Likes