Seeking Feedback on my Track and Field Game

I’m reaching out to gather feedback on a game I’ve been working on, and I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. As a still green developer, your insights will help me a ton.

About the Game: The focus of the game is on track and field, and I’ve aimed to create a skill-based environment. Players should feel challenged and engaged, and I want to ensure that the skill ceiling is appropriately set. If you’ve had a chance to try out the game, please share your thoughts on the difficulty level. Does it offer the right balance between being challenging and enjoyable?

What I’m Looking For:

1. Skill Ceiling Feedback: Let me know if you find any aspects of the game that could be adjusted to allow for a higher skill ceiling. Are there certain mechanics that could be fine-tuned for a more skill-based experience?
  2. Suggestions for Improvement: Are there specific features or elements you feel would enhance the overall gameplay? I’m open to all kinds of suggestions, from new game modes to improvements on existing mechanics.
  3. Bug Reports: If you encounter any bugs or glitches, please provide details so I can address and fix them promptly.
1 Like

I’ve just played it on mobile and I have some thoughts. Its good that you have the layout. But its pretty uncomfortable. Instead of making the player move and press the buttons, you could make them move automatically. So they don’t have to focus on pressing Q,E with two fingers on their right hand, and using their thumb to move forward on their left. Improving gameplay really helps players stay.

I also want to pitch some ideas to you! Like I said, the game will get repetitive. So, i recommend you add some sort of reason for the player to continue playing. Why do so many people play Blox-fruits? Because they have a reason. They want to level up, get better fruit, and compete with their friends. And because most of these people want to be better than their friends they play and grind. So you could make a leveling system, or a mission system that keeps the player in the game because they want to complete a task.

There is a problem with your game though. Its a high skill based game. Think about it, you want the most amount of players. Would you want the part of the player-base that is older, Or, do you want a player base that is younger. The benefits of having a younger audience are the fact that they don’t know better than “Its a ROBLOX game”. They don’t care who made it or how it was made. They just want to be entertained. And attracting either one of the player bases is a hit or miss. If your game is to repetitive, bland in bright color, too hard (or in some cases too easy), then you wont be attracting anyone. So this goes back to my suggestions about mobile. Change the layout, make it easier for the player to focus on the main task (pressing Q&E) and make it less repetitive.

Sorry for the long read. I hope this helps you! Don’t give up!

1 Like

Hi TwistyO8,

Since you have already received feedback on the mobile side, I will give you that on the PC side.
I see potential although it is not so original atm: it is a slightly more difficult version of the classic ‘click to increase speed’, but it can grow up and become more unique.

I share with PvpPenguin the uselessness of the movement during races, it should definitely be automated there.

If you want to keep the mechanics supported by the Q/E keys to increase speed, it would be appropriate to improve the stamina GUI bar to make the decrease with each click more defined and predictable.
For this purpose you could add notches to the bar to give a reference.

Also, if you want to give the player more control and variety (to prevent them from getting bored with the same dynamics), you could for example insert a ball that swings from left to right on the stamina bar and have the speed increase when the player presses Q/E at the moment the ball is at the left/right edge.

Of course, you can then vary the dynamics related to the mechanics by, for example, rotating the player by pressing Q/E for the weight throw.

There are other improvements that could be applied to make the game more satisfying, but being a novice (as you say), I would avoid making a list now.

Instead, try to focus on improving what you already have.
And in my opinion, think about whether you like the idea of enhancing your stamina bar as a core-mechanic to give uniqueness to the game.
Now it’s just a stamina bar, but think how many ways, consistent with the gameplay, it can be transformed to create variety.