Select Parent Feature

As a Roblox Developer, it is currently difficult and time consuming to select models that are nested in another model (for organization or other).

In this example, I would like to select the models “Modular_Window02” that are located inside the model “ModularBuilding.” Currently the only way to achieve this is to Ctrl + Alt + Click (which selects the lowest child Part instance) in each model, and then in Explorer, select each model (essentially doubling the required clicks to achieve the action). When using multiple models, this can get time consuming.

I would like to suggest a method to streamline this common use case by maintaining the Ctrl + Alt + Click selection, but much like the Select Children tool, move up the hierarchy to Select Parent.

Currently Roblox has a tool to select the highest parent Model (Click) and work down to the lowest child (Select Children), as well as a way to select the lowest child (Ctrl + Alt + Click) but there’s currently no way to work up to the highest parent.

A feature like this would streamline a common use case as more developers organize and manage model hierarchy in more complex assets. My specific use case was using static buildings and even then it was time consuming.

Edit: There is a plugin made by @Maelstronomer (https://www.roblox.com/library/228519347/Select-parent-s-with-Ctrl-B) that achieves this workflow improvement, but an actual feature would still be useful for everyone who doesn’t know of this plugin.

57 Likes

I know this is old, however, F3X does an overall fantastic job with this and several other things. It is buggy in a specific area where local movement moves each individual part instead of the model. I switch to ROBLOX Movement for this. I would try out F3X and use the Alt + Z feature it has.

This was added as a built-in studio feature early this year too! It works great

Took a look, and sadly I still think they make a building workflow so much more time-consuming than switching between F3X. For parent selection, you have to use the explorer and right-click and control-click, while in F3X you can just press alt and bam.