Selection highlight randomly shows massive thick bounding box outline

Beta feature in question is selection highlight.

When shift-click selecting, a bounding box will randomly appear and become extremely thick. I did not tweak any settings during the process or pressed any key binds intentionally. Upon opening studio, everything will be fine, but as I am working in the 3D workspace, when shift clicking, the bounding box outline will be come massive. This is weird given that selection highlights beta is enabled, which means I don’t have a bounding box. During my work, the bounding box shows on top of the selection highlights and then it is also massively thick.

You can see in the attached screenshots that my selection highlight outline is still there in addition to the massive bounding box.

UPDATE: Just found out that this only affects shift-selected objects in ROTATE & SCALE tools. Move and select is still fine!

I want to emphasize that I did NOT CHANGE ANY settings and this happens DURING WORK. As in it occurs randomly during my process and I did not change any settings

Expected behavior

There shouldn’t be a bounding box and the outline of it should be normally sized

6 Likes

It isn’t random; it’s when you’re zoomed into the part.

Can you elaborate? It happens from any camera angle. In my screenshots too it shows the two parts from up close and afar and the stroke size of the bounding box is also the same. Please reread my post

You don’t have any plugins that could affect this, correct?

E.g. creating fake bounding boxes, putting parts in front of the camera, etc.

As far as I know, no. I didn’t add any new plugins and it only happens on one computer I work on. Also it was reported there was an update like a day prior when it occurred to me. I also don’t really build often either so I don’t really have building plugins either

1 Like

That is the nature of the Highlight instance. It is designed that way, which means it’s intended behavior. However, you could argue that this has not happened before they used Highlight as the studio dragger selection visual.

The bounding box outline inflating is not intended behavior.

1 Like

Of course not, but for a Highlight instance it is completely normal (which is what I believe the new box uses internally).

You can see both visible at the same time. This is the old bounding box misbehaving.

Also no? Highlights are sized in screen space to N pixels thick. Always.

3 Likes

To add to this, the reported behavior only occurs when I’m using the rotate and scale tools but NOT move and select as stated in my original post. I don’t think your comment about the highlight instance (?) has any relevance here

In that case, it might be what @PeZsmistic said about both the SelectionBox and Highlight being visible in the selected part at the same time, but it’s odd it’s abnormally sized.

Try deleting the registry key associated with Roblox studio. It might be a corrupted setting.

i’m also having this bug, but for now i’ll just disable selection improvements.
if anyone doesnt know:
it’s in the beta features tab

1 Like

No thanks, I’m not going to delete the registry key or whatever… this is a bug report for unexpected studio feature behavior, I’m not looking for a patch or to do random things to my studio.

In other news, I have disabled the beta feature and the issue seems to have disappeared asl well, so I believe it should be Selection Highlights acting wonky due to a new update!

I’ve been having this issue as well so I did some investigating.

Noticed that in the Studio Settings Hover Box Thickness has defualted to 4

I’ve now set it to 0.01 and it produces a much better box

Before (HBT = 4)

After (ABT = 0.01)

Look’s like this is a bug with Roblox setting the Defualt value incorrectly.

3 Likes

I can scale the part down to the point where it is below the minimum increment and it does do something like this, but with a yellow box.

Here’s what I mean:
robloxapp-20230402-0057233.wmv (294.4 KB)

I am also experiencing this issue when selecting multiple objects inside a model with Ctrl+Alt-click.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll keep you updated!

2 Likes

Hello,

This should have been fixed in a previous release. Let us know if this is still occuring.

1 Like