Selection Improvements

Good update on paper but with the issues presented by others here and the overall consensus prevents me from saying that it’s good in practice. Hope the issues can be resolved before it leaves Beta.

4 Likes

Please, PLEASE make this optional. While this is a really lovely and good change, it is HORRIBLE for positioning some other stuff. Please make it so that you can turn this option on and off (when it gets implemented) because it is really useful for some stuff, but I really need the older box selection for other stuff too.

4 Likes

Great feature, I haven’t got it yet, but I think it would be a nice thing to try out once it does. However, this makes me think that SelectionBox will be deprecated soon after this.

3 Likes

I dont think it should as it is a detailing tool that people use.

3 Likes

A improvement I never know I needed, thank you guys so much!

2 Likes

You can turn the feature off by going to file > Beta Features > (Uncheck) Selection Improvements.

3 Likes

also apparently there is a button for it too, not sure where tho. Selection Improvements [Beta] - #34 by smoothiecriminals

3 Likes

I do like the update for what it is, but I feel there are a few things which could be improved:

• The highlight shouldn’t render on top of all other parts, it makes it incredibly difficult to position things on surfaces and to tell when parts begin to overlap.
  • Highlights shouldn’t merge when selecting multiple parts as it makes it way too tedious to tell which ones are actually selected.
  • The performance when just doing anything in the viewport seems to have decreased significantly since enabling the beta, presumably due to the selection cycling also taking every part behind just the selected one into account.

I feel most of these problems could be solved just by having the highlights and the selection cycling remain optional after it’s taken out of beta.

4 Likes

So far for me this update is amazing, however I am having a little bit of trouble adjusting with depth perception. If there were a way to get a box around parts that Im hovering over so I can tell where the corner is, that would be perfect.

5 Likes

This is great! It makes studio feel so much more modern and helps support games with more detailed environments that commonly use meshes.

3 Likes

Whilst I like the new geometric selection outlines, it’s incredibly frustrating that you can see the selection outlines behind opaque objects, which is an awful pain when trying to make parts flush, as the selection outline ultimately ends up getting in the way.

It’s great for making small, detailed models, but horrible for trying to make sure everything is flush and in-line.

3 Likes

OKAY. THIS SUCKS.

• Cannot Disable
    I can only disable the old selectors, not the new ones.
  • Laggy
    My studio client freezes up when selecting things due to the implementation of this.
  • Poorly Executed
    Its hard to see what I’m selecting with this system.
  • Forced & Uncustomisable
    I cannot edit the selection & how it is rendered, nor can I turn it off.

How do you people keep messing things up this badly??!

Because you guys really care, surely.

4 Likes

FWIW so far I don’t seem to have any issues with this. I can still align parts just fine, I just need to orient the camera so the outline doesn’t get in the way of the edge I’m looking at. This makes the rigid outline size not much of an issue. Haven’t tried to build with it yet though.

I did feel a little hiccup when I tried this out the first time, not sure if there are performance issues to be fixed.

3 Likes

This has completely devastated my workflow! Alt-clicking now behaves extremely strangely.
Alt clicking sometimes selects the parent instead of the part - and sometimes selects a decal in the part as well, even if I didn’t click the decal part - but ALSO sometimes, just the object behind it like the baseplate. I have no idea what events are causing this, as it seems completely random.

I have been avoiding Alt-clicking since this update came out, which is a good indicator it is not exactly as intuitive as intended, or bugged.

8 Likes

Is anyone else crashing alot more because of this?

3 Likes

Can you please fix this

4 Likes

What’s the point of making alt - click select textures when double clicking a part already does that?

2 Likes

Hey, sorry about the Alt click cycle including decals, that one was a last minute suggestion from me… one which I obviously didn’t think through closely enough. Point taken in the feedback.

10 Likes

it’s cool but without the outline on the front it’s awful

5 Likes

Will we get access to the SelectionHighlight object as it works better than the normal Highlight object atm?

2 Likes