Server disconnection, Error Code: 277

So this issue has been getting worse for me over the last few weeks, it seems any large game gives me error 277. My internet is fine, computer works for everything else, even larger games than roblox.

P.s sorry for bumping but this issue still needs a fix or a way around it that works for everyone!

Edit: large games can sometimes randomly open…not sure why but it does

3 Likes

This issue started to arise after the beta release of one of my games, Neo-Warfare X.

We had tested this update for close to a year and it worked without issue, but came yesterday and all of a sudden these issues started popping up as reported by my players.

I really do hope this issue can be resolved as soon as it can, as it has affected our player counts especially at this time. I have heard this issue is not just in our games, but in others as well.

1 Like

I’m experiencing these issues as well with my servers. I have lost a large player count due to this issue. I hope ROBLOX can resolve this issue ASAP.

1 Like

I have a fast PC and I’m getting this at least 2 times a day.

2 Likes

I also have still been getting Error Code 260 when joining one specific game. I have already tried reinstalling Roblox multiple times just to make sure it was nothing with the software itself. The case is particularily odd as I only get the error code playing one game; I seldom get the error code when playing any other game. I was recently told that the game that I get the error code on has a very high mesh count. Could this contribute to the generation of the error? I also got a new internet router during the time this error code started to propagate. Is it possible Roblox is not recognizing the new router or something specifically on the new game?

In general, I am just perplexed on why I am getting this error and how I can fix it. I would appreciate any support or assistance if you know anything about my problem!

3 Likes

Is this error presenting again for anybody else? My game seems to close frequently due to network errors and I’m not sure if I should go looking around for something I’ve done or wait until a potential fix is out.

4 Likes

Have you tried monitoring the server memory aswell as the clients connection to the server? If I recall correctly the key to bring up the client-server connection starts was Ctrl+F2 or CTRL+Shift+F2, correct me if I’m wrong.

Edit: Its Ctrl + Shift + F3

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve looked through the server code specifically and cleared up any obvious memory leaks, it seems to crash randomly so it can vary from very early on in the server to near the end, it’s unpredictable and untraceable, I’m completely lost on what could be causing it and it’s really hurt any chance of the game being played currently.

The only real things happening on the server frequently is a script firing clients pinging them to get their latency, other than that there’s really nothing complicated at all.

edit:

I should mention that event that is pinging all of the clients happens once every 10 seconds so it >shouldn’t< be too intensive at all.

I know it’s been a long time since I posted this. Though I found the problem back then and I would like to share it as it may help others as well. The issue was that a block I had placed was not anchored and as it was placed on the terrain it was causing the collisions/physics engine to go crazy. That would cause freeze spikes every 5 seconds or so and would end up giving this error. You can check if this is the root of your problem by opening the microprofiler and checking the physics load.

1 Like

You should get a repro case of that and file it as a new bug report so that staff can fix it properly.

3 Likes

Have to bump this because I myself am suffering from this in my own game. Seems that servers are crashing at completely random intervals, unable to replicate the issue, and nothing was added that seems to have started causing this.

The error code that my players seem to be getting is 277, haven’t seen any other ones. And when reconnecting, it gives them error code 17, which likely means the game isn’t available anymore (server crashed)

https://www.roblox.com/games/29659138/Vibe-Club-Sabers?refPageId=245a14d0-c2d3-450a-b918-04aef1a3b2ac

If I could get some crash logs from the staff it would be a great help @zeuxcg . Being able to have the logs stored locally upon crashes would be an awesome implementation too, as I have no way of pinpointing the issue.

2 Likes

I’m going to say this, for no reasons at all, a couple of weeks ago Neo Warfare X started having mass server crashes causing 277s for users after the servers VM ran out of memory and crashed, the cause of the issue was a feature that was in the game for over half a year and never showed any issues. Yet suddenly a couple of weeks ago decided to become problematic and begun crashing servers on the regular, dropping the average server lifetime to 1 hour 30 minutes. We’ve checked Roblox Update logs from the time but found no relevant change to Viewports, cloning a lot of parts, or memory management. Yes, the old way we were doing this feature was inefficient but it doesn’t explain why it suddenly started consuming large amounts of memory.

TL;DR Check memory, check Roblox update logs, try looking for what creates a lot of instances, if you have a discord server you can use a webhook to send hourly analytic reports to help track down the cause of the crashes, if none of these work then I recommend taking it up with staff.

1 Like

It’s super frustrating because I’ve been keeping track with webhook analytics and all that but still, everything looks normal. And then boom, servers still go down. Not sure how it could be on my end, memory looks good and everything else seems to be running fine. No changes since this started happening, nothing looks out of place.

Hey RadVideo, I’m sorry to hear your servers have been crashing! That sucks :frowning:

I took a look at some of our internal systems and it looks like the place you linked (29659138) is having some out of memory crashes pretty regularly (About 1-2 times per day). All of agentsergio34’s suggestions were good, and if you can, try running your place locally and looking at memory usage that way. How long has this been happening for? To me it looks like the OOM crashes started happening around the end of January.

Edit: In case you haven’t seen it, the Developer Console | Roblox Creator Documentation page has some helpful tips/tools for debugging memory usage. (check out the “Memory” section, especially “Memory Management Tips”).

Also Using MicroProfiler | Roblox Creator Documentation will show you memory usage (you can use it on a locally running server). This page doesn’t actually cover it but if you click Mode > Counters on the top bar while running the microprofiler you should see a breakdown of memory usage.

4 Likes

Hi there,

I see. That seems about right, but I didn’t start getting reports about it until beginning of March, but players may have just confused it with internet issues. I will do some testing and see what my findings are! This is strange since I didn’t add anything major during that time, nothing even on the scripting side either. Thanks for looking into it.

This could be something you’re messing that might messes with RunService events, aka Heartbeat, Stepped. Try to look for code with those. I’m pretty sure there are tools around to look for stuff like that for you.

1 Like

Hey there!

I recently made some changes to the game scripts to possibly prevent OOM server crashes. I was wondering if I could get the servers looked at again to see if the issue is still happening?

Game ID: 29659138

Could you take a look at reasons for crashing in my games as well? We have been getting this error from an exploiter and our games have been crashing even after publishing a baseplate to the game and removing all the scripts, including the chat scripts. I’m honestly not sure what to do after it happening in 3 different games and it happening on a baseplate. There is not any lag before the crashes either, and no slow game messages on the server list. The exploiter says “bye” and then 2 seconds later everyone disconnects. After keeping logs of essentially every remote firing, and all of the chat logs, the exploiter is setting off absolutely nothing.

Here are some of the times if it helps, and I can provide log files for them all. These are just the times I was in the game, I’m sure there’s a lot more crashing. (Times are in PT)

4/2/2021
12:12 PM
12:19 PM
12:34 PM
12:45 PM
1:25 PM
1:33 PM
1:36 PM
3:09 PM

4/4/2021
2:42 PM
2:50 PM
2:53 PM

4/5/2021
11:48 AM
12:02 PM

Affected Games:

PlaceID: 430367172

PlaceID: 425302872

PlaceID: 430394033

1 Like

Closing this thread since the error code in the title of the thread is generic and recent replies were separate issues unrelated to the original post. Recent replies were followed up in DMs.