Server fill customization not working properly

Adding our game Legends RP to the pile of games having this issue. Neither of the other server fill options change anything; we keep getting players placed into new servers even though there are plenty of other open servers.

Hi SheriffTaco, I’m happy the issue appears to have resolved on its own after a few hours. We would like to investigate why this might’ve happened - could you provide more details around this bug, especially the approximate time frame you’ve experienced it?

1 Like

I would like to add that I haver recently noticed many players that play my game getting placed into new empty servers when there are already servers with a lot of available player slots. It seems to have gotten worse within the past few days and I noticed a sharp decline in my daily visits recently as my game heavily depends on multiple players in a server.

I hope Roblox can look into this because if any changes to the way servers are filled has been made, they are having negative impacts on my game and I am sure for other games as well.

Hi Dylan, we are looking into this issue now. Do you know what date you first began to notice this issue?

1 Like

I noticed it starting Wednesday night, so April 27th. I tried to join my game using a different account and it placed the account in a new empty server. I did notice that my daily visits started dropping since this Tuesday so it is possible that it started sometime around the beginning of this week.

I also noticed it still happening yesterday night when I shutdown a few of my servers for game updates, it placed a few of people (maybe about 4) in a new empty server by themselves. When I would shutdown those empty servers and they rejoined, it still placed them in an empty server.

Thank you for reaching out!

The first report of the new bug was on April 9th at 1:46 PM CST. I believe the issue fixed itself around April 10th around 1 AM CST. When clicking the green play button below the game’s title, a new server would be created, and you would be the only player in the server. If you tried to join any of the servers from the server list, even if they were 1/60 full, the “experience is full” message would appear infinitely.

When I checked about 12 hours later, the servers seemed to return back to normal, possibly because the game is less active around these times. This issue began a few hours into peak joining times during the day, which was around 1 PM CST.

Hi @Deadwoodx would you also be able to provide more details on around how you’ve experienced this issue? In particular the placeId and timeframe you experienced it (the more precise the better) will be able to help us figure out why you might’ve experienced it and hopefully come to a resolution.

1 Like

Sure, uh so basically my game is an obby game, and the more players in each server, the more chances the players find others to help them, like no one likes to be in quiet server, and in a obby game, you wish for players to keep chatting or stay online, so it would get you motivated or maybe it will keep you up, and will also have the hope that someone in the server can teach you how to do a stage if your stuck, so the players don’t leave quickly and have a decent amount of chance to stay up a bit longer

Now the thing is, I need to make every player in a full server most of the time, so I enabled the Server fill, and then I hoped this work, but tommorow I realized, nothing worked, my game had 850 people approx, and each server can fit upto 40, now the thing is, if each server gets filled, the max servers needed are:

Total = 850 players
Server count = 40
Servers needed = 850/40 = 21.25 = 22

So there should be 22 servers or at max 24

Now the server count was 53, it makes no sense, very few servers were full ,and managing it was hard, to keep each server maintained, I hired a few admins to moderate each server and try their best to keep it active all the time, and for a few days it worked, like 2-3 days, now after that, the admins were bored, and therefore they left, I had to hire another set of admins, and they did not work

Now because of this inconsistent actively-based servers, the obby became hard, like if there are more people, there are more chances someone can speak with you about how to do it right? Like the game have spectate and buttons to move between stages

The game managed to have an average count of 800 players for a time-range of 2 weeks, and things changed, now many players think the game is too inactive or the players are not chatting or helping much, and the game servers are always empty, and started to ignore my game, and slowly, every week the count dropped by 85%

My game fell from 1.5k players to 20 players on average, after 3 weeks after the fall of the game, the trend of the game genre started to fade, but atleast if the server fill worked, my game could have been with 500+ players for 2-3 more weeks, and I don’t say the trend is gone fully, many games of the genre are having 100+ and 500+, this wasn’t expected by me, my game was doing good, so I tried to maintain the engagement time by doing frequent updates on the game thoughts mostly

Now, I thought the obby was too hard, and the server fill don’t work either, so I tried to make obby simple, but it takes alot of time, and its still in progress, I mean, this affected games and games such as story games, where alot of people get on a queue, get affected the most if not my game, because there should be alot of players in the same lobby, the same server for the server to be populated at all times, causing a lesser leave rate of players

When alot of admins were hired to manage:
Now:

Thanks for reading

1 Like

It seems like roblox takes region to account at a higher priority of the setting that the developer has selected. Even with the setting as fill each server as full as possible, I have 200 capacity servers that are only getting filled halfway before a new one is created. This has been happening for years, so we’ve been forced to watch the server list closely and shutdown any new servers opened by random players who live in opposite time zones.

When the developer selects “fill each server as full as possible”, it should prioritize that setting completely, regardless of latency of players connecting to the server or any other factors. Those should only take effect when the developer has roblox optimize server fill for them.

In a perfect world, the developer would be able to write their own logic about how players are put into servers and when new servers are created.

Just FYI, you were specifically asked above to provide a universe/place ID and time frame, might want to add that to your post if you want to get further help. They might not be able to find your game as easily from just the game tile screenshot.

Oh ok sorry I forgot that

Hi, I want to provide you all with an update. We’ve identified a bug that makes the behavior of the fill server not work as expected. We’ll be working on this in the near future and this will hopefully allow you to not experience this problem as severely as you’ve listed in this thread.

I do want to list some caveats: Some of the behavior you’ve all described may be attributed to other factors, such as users blocking each other or being in different geographic regions. The server fill option, once the fix is there, should no longer cause the latter being a factor to split players across multiple servers, assuming your game’s concurrent player count isn’t high enough be able to support multiple regions. I do want to note that choosing that option will likely significantly increase ping times between players and other potential issues from players being far apart geographically, like differences in native language.

10 Likes

Hi, have you guys started working on it? Do you have an estimate of when will this be fixed? My game and many others suffer from this and I do appreciate that you are set on fixing this problem but it’s been more than a month since you sent this message so I’d just like to know what’s up with it.

Hi everyone! I have good news. We have a fix prepared and we’d like to try applying it to a few places before rolling it out more broadly. If any of you on this thread would like access to this fix earlier and also want to help us verify whether it indeed fixes the problem, please reply to this thread with the placeid(s) for your place(s) and we will be able to enroll your place(s).

Because this will change how players are matchmade into your places, there is a small risk of degraded player engagement (though we hope this won’t happen of course!). We will monitor on our end, but please feel free to reach out to me if there’s any noticeable degradation in this behavior that you observe.

6 Likes

Thank you for this follow up, 5951776961

https://gyazo.com/48813743c434150abdd8d948545532cc

Place ID of East Brickton: 1923555882

@tareyza
https://www.roblox.com/games/5214778208/A I’d love to try it out. :slight_smile:

Hello, I have a experience that relies heavily on being full servers please enroll my place as I believe I will also be able to provide valuable insight as I am a multi-thousand MAU experience.

Game ID: 539960592

Is this supposed to work now for my game? I have this on now and there are still servers being created when the big one isnt full.

This still isn’t working. My workaround is to instantly teleport incoming players to a reserved server where they can all matchmake. Not ideal, so please fix this simple feature.