Server List Update

While it’s not a solution to this… “solution”, this might be a good moment to implement a (serverside) Lua API that allows us to fetch a list of servers (JobId, VIPServerId, VIPServerOwnerId and the players (userid and/or name) in them). Then some moderator and (decent) custom matchmaking could be implemented. This would’ve been a good feature before, but with the “Server List Update”, it suddenly looks better.

but this update, or at least the implementation of it, is bad, with or without a matchmaking-thing API

8 Likes

Can’t we at least let certain members in groups with the right permissions to view the list? I really don’t see the necessity of this update – and I’m pretty optimistic. I mean, a setting was recently created that only lets certain people PM you, say friends or people you’re following/followers. And I am aware that bots can bot to follow you to send the message. Why not instead bump the limit of being able to send a PM? Find an average statistic of how long it takes before real members start messaging someone and then add a timer? So they cannot PM for at least x amounts of days.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s easier for all people to view the list as I’m aware of certain games’ rounds and such, like Survivor. And yeah, Echo really went all-out on there, his idea would be much better than mine. I just put my own thoughts out there though. All-and-all, I really do not agree with this change and I hope something could be done about it soon.

5 Likes

Seems like a Band-Aid solution to me. It won’t be long before people find work-arounds to continue botting users with unwanted activity (messages, friend requests, comments, etc).

The update certainly promotes the ideal that ROBLOX is a socializing platform (yes, I’m aware there’s also other components like development and such) and that you should get with your friends in-game. Sometimes I have trouble following my friends into games without the party feature (don’t ask why I don’t use it) but now servers are narrowed down so hooray?

Downside to this is some games that have moderation or “intelligence” role play systems rely on being able to see who’s on servers publically and this update puts a wrench in that. In addition to this, the server list is often used since ROBLOX seems to have a tendency to create blank servers or new servers without filling up servers to the preferred or maximum player count set by the developer (earlier today on a game I help maintain and develop, there were 18 total players online with 3 running servers, while the game had a 35 preferred player count and 50 maximum player count).

and yeah everyone already mentioned my other approvals and complaints

Overall though, I mean there’s still the message settings, but I like to keep my messages public so people can message me from groups and such without forcing them to follow me; and I’d like to play a game without having to archive 1-2 pages afterward.

:+1:

8 Likes

This feels like the price floor all over again.

Suggestion that they would make it so groups could hand out group uniforms for 1 robux. Never happened.

If you add the group permission, make it added to Guests as well that should fix group-crossing battles/activities (Members not in the group can still view full server list of group games, if the permission is enabled.)

5 Likes

I feel like my idea about friends being at the top of the server list was implemented in a totally backwards way. Again as people have previously suggested this just won’t work and it really restricts the social aspect of games and being able to pick the best server the player wants.

It restricts in-game moderation and makes it harder to enforce said rules and policies (for example I know @TwentyTwoPilots driving games don’t like people breaking the filter to swear explicit or play stupidly loud music) there’s a dedicated team of people jumping around in the servers like mad to ensure a good experience throughout the game.

“As the game developer you are responsible for the game content, including what you allow players to submit.”

So if a Nazi or adult image does slip by, you’ll be the one getting moderated of course. We’ve already saw that happening (see below threads if you do a search there is a few more)

“Moderation on User Generated Content in my game and a few questions about age access”
“Game Suspended with no reason”

So I would imagine it be similar to the floating FE policy, it only exists when your game is on front page and starts getting abuse. The developer will be penalised with downtime or the game pulled and for some cases, moderation.

4 Likes

It only stays until they either leave or spray another image. The case you refer to was saving them and putting them up for everyone to see IIRC.

1 Like

This is what happens to my game because my players can’t join a populated server.image.png
Normally everyone just joins the server that has the most players in it. Now they are alone, and they leave because they are alone. (refer back to this this post)

21 Likes

Honestly. Is it possible to just get the server player amount. This would fix some problems people had with the update while… meeting ROBLOX halfway to preventing bots.

I was joking about this before

But now I'm serious.

Obviously not exactly like this. It would be nice just to have images of the accounts without linking to their account?? Or maybe just saying 24/24 or 23/24

19 Likes

Another issue I thought of last night was those free robux places, I’m sure lots of users are tricked by their misleading yet accurate-looking leaderboards, and it was pretty easy to debunk when you realize that you are in a server alone. Now its harder to do that.

4 Likes

Now we just need to work together and create a spam bot that abuses this update

edit: seems like this post got flagged. obviously was just sarcastic poke

21 Likes

One of my main issues is that the group I develop at requires the ability to see all servers so that they can shut down empty ones to prevent people from joining empty servers created randomly without other servers being full and so that people can hit the “Join” button on a server so they won’t end up in a new server and all go into the place they should be at.

3 Likes

Posted this in a different forum thread but here’s my suggestion at the moment:

My proposal for this update is that if this update is urgently needed to prevent the spam/phishing bots, then they should at least make it so only verified (and/or at least 1+ week old or so) accounts can view servers that non-friends are in. That will cut down on a lot of the phishing bots, especially due to the fact a lot of them aren’t even verified, I’m assuming. To remove the non-friends server list overall from the whole roblox population though, is quite absurd/unnecessary.

2 Likes

I generally used the server list to allow people to join specific servers from my website. I allowed this for various things, for example, my site allows players in-game to communicate directly with “Server-Mods” (Other people that were given access to moderate the game by the game owner). If needed that server mod could join that server to continue assisting the user.

Is this still possible? If not how could I get around this? Possibly using the follow player endPoint?

4 Likes

In that case you probably know the JobId, so you could just TeleportToPlaceInstance (or even use GetPlayerPlaceInstanceAsync to get the JobId), as you already kind of know the server you want.

obviously won’t work if you don’t know the (exact) name of the caller or the server JobId it came from

3 Likes

This update was not meant to stop botting. It was because the server list was straining ROBLOX’s backend. Would have been nice to improve the feature so it didn’t instead of removing it for all but a select few, but oh well.

5 Likes

The resource issue was a secondary concern according to the OP.

3 Likes

Publicly-facing maybe, but through private discussion that doesn’t appear to be the case. You can put together the pieces with just what’s been said in this thread even, which is why I’m comfortable mentioning it (e.g. dodging of both the remarks that this doesn’t really help botting and the suggestions which improve upon the effectiveness against botting but reinstate the server list (bringing back the resource problem))

4 Likes

Hello everyone,

Please remember this post is in the public section of the Developer Forum. Do not post ways users can bot on the Roblox website since this knowledge can be used maliciously. Instead please message the ways you found to @Caelestene directly or post in the Private Bugs and Exploit Reports section of the Developer Forum… Thank you everyone for expressing your thoughts on this matter and please remember to follow our rules. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to message us directly.

Thank you,
Developer Relations Team

3 Likes