Server List Update

This update should be reverted. There was no discussion about it beforehand and it’s something that is quite impactful.

Just recently played the new hit game “Survivor” and I lost the game, I did not want to wait for the game to end and I was with my friend. I wanted a new server, but low and behold I could not get one.

15 Likes

As for users finding certain servers; could a drop down menu be implemented to the Play Button?

#INeedBetterDigitalGraphicsSoftware

7 Likes

I’ve said this before but i’d like to bring it up on this topic. Games like Survivor and Big Brother take over an hour to complete. Instead of server hopping for all eternity i could just check the server list and pick whatever server has the least amount of players.

And like, roblox staff, engineers, moderators, etc. I love you guys, but please, please, give us a little heads up if you’re going to do something like this again. This happens too often, we could avoid having these problems if there was a little more communication.

37 Likes

I would not have said better :+1:

8 Likes

i think it should be automatically tuned off, but devs should have the choice to turn it on (for all/ for group members)

(edit: I also love this idea, but it could be slightly improved)

5 Likes

I cannot emphasize enough how much I disagree with this update. As I already said yesterday, and as others have said, this feels like a band-aid being applied to the botting problem instead if trying to fix the source.

Why are thousands of messages allowed to be sent with the same contents? Why are you allowed to send thousands of friend requests in a few minutes? These feel like they should be capped, and they’d slow down botting, at the very least, but here we are with an update that makes the user experience worse for very little reward long-term.

It would hurt the user experience to cap the number of messages sent a day, or the number of friend request sent out per day, and to filter based off of the frequency of message contents, but it would work. As is, it doesn’t feel like this update will do anything but slow bot developers down while hurting the user experience, when other options aren’t being taken specifically because of this fact.

32 Likes

In theory if it were to be a permission just like view shout/wall etc then groups can still allow this for guests thus allowing raids/server hopping and what not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s a bug.

You can’t see groups server list even if you have group game edit role. I couldn’t see or join my own server to test my game. I also can’t shut down individual servers if one gets exploited. Since I live in Turkey, I also can’t join a server that’s populated(?), instead, it creates its own server which I’m alone in.

1 Like

It’s the greatest feature ever added. Not a bug. :no_mouth:

3 Likes

He meant to say that although he does have the role able to edit games, he can’t see the servers, a feature that was (or will be / I’m not completly updated on that topic, sorry) added.

2 Likes

That’s being fixed apparently.

Would it be possible to give other people access to the full server list for privately owned games? Sorta like a list system used before when the Personal Server feature was around.
This might address the challenges preventing moderators from accessing certain servers.

5 Likes

While it’s not a solution to this… “solution”, this might be a good moment to implement a (serverside) Lua API that allows us to fetch a list of servers (JobId, VIPServerId, VIPServerOwnerId and the players (userid and/or name) in them). Then some moderator and (decent) custom matchmaking could be implemented. This would’ve been a good feature before, but with the “Server List Update”, it suddenly looks better.

but this update, or at least the implementation of it, is bad, with or without a matchmaking-thing API

8 Likes

Can’t we at least let certain members in groups with the right permissions to view the list? I really don’t see the necessity of this update – and I’m pretty optimistic. I mean, a setting was recently created that only lets certain people PM you, say friends or people you’re following/followers. And I am aware that bots can bot to follow you to send the message. Why not instead bump the limit of being able to send a PM? Find an average statistic of how long it takes before real members start messaging someone and then add a timer? So they cannot PM for at least x amounts of days.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s easier for all people to view the list as I’m aware of certain games’ rounds and such, like Survivor. And yeah, Echo really went all-out on there, his idea would be much better than mine. I just put my own thoughts out there though. All-and-all, I really do not agree with this change and I hope something could be done about it soon.

5 Likes

Seems like a Band-Aid solution to me. It won’t be long before people find work-arounds to continue botting users with unwanted activity (messages, friend requests, comments, etc).

The update certainly promotes the ideal that ROBLOX is a socializing platform (yes, I’m aware there’s also other components like development and such) and that you should get with your friends in-game. Sometimes I have trouble following my friends into games without the party feature (don’t ask why I don’t use it) but now servers are narrowed down so hooray?

Downside to this is some games that have moderation or “intelligence” role play systems rely on being able to see who’s on servers publically and this update puts a wrench in that. In addition to this, the server list is often used since ROBLOX seems to have a tendency to create blank servers or new servers without filling up servers to the preferred or maximum player count set by the developer (earlier today on a game I help maintain and develop, there were 18 total players online with 3 running servers, while the game had a 35 preferred player count and 50 maximum player count).

and yeah everyone already mentioned my other approvals and complaints

Overall though, I mean there’s still the message settings, but I like to keep my messages public so people can message me from groups and such without forcing them to follow me; and I’d like to play a game without having to archive 1-2 pages afterward.

:+1:

8 Likes

This feels like the price floor all over again.

Suggestion that they would make it so groups could hand out group uniforms for 1 robux. Never happened.

If you add the group permission, make it added to Guests as well that should fix group-crossing battles/activities (Members not in the group can still view full server list of group games, if the permission is enabled.)

5 Likes

I feel like my idea about friends being at the top of the server list was implemented in a totally backwards way. Again as people have previously suggested this just won’t work and it really restricts the social aspect of games and being able to pick the best server the player wants.

It restricts in-game moderation and makes it harder to enforce said rules and policies (for example I know @TwentyTwoPilots driving games don’t like people breaking the filter to swear explicit or play stupidly loud music) there’s a dedicated team of people jumping around in the servers like mad to ensure a good experience throughout the game.

“As the game developer you are responsible for the game content, including what you allow players to submit.”

So if a Nazi or adult image does slip by, you’ll be the one getting moderated of course. We’ve already saw that happening (see below threads if you do a search there is a few more)

“Moderation on User Generated Content in my game and a few questions about age access”
“Game Suspended with no reason”

So I would imagine it be similar to the floating FE policy, it only exists when your game is on front page and starts getting abuse. The developer will be penalised with downtime or the game pulled and for some cases, moderation.

4 Likes

It only stays until they either leave or spray another image. The case you refer to was saving them and putting them up for everyone to see IIRC.

1 Like

This is what happens to my game because my players can’t join a populated server.image.png
Normally everyone just joins the server that has the most players in it. Now they are alone, and they leave because they are alone. (refer back to this this post)

21 Likes