Server List Update

Basically this update has catastrophic effects on in-game moderation. Roblox should revert the update, spin the revert off with a new look to give reason. Also focus on more restrictive tactics in the messaging tab, to reduce messaging bots. Maybe invest in text patterns and user activity to detect mass-messages. Then we can continue life as usual.

Just my opinion. Thanks for reading. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I’m not sure how I’m getting these bots, but if this update was meant to be a nail in the coffin for bots, it’s clearly not working.

It might be due to the fact that I’m promoting my games a bit more often nowadays, but nonetheless.

It’s also worth noting that the server list for the games under the groups I own don’t show up either!

6 Likes

The solutions are equally simple and elegant:

1. Introduce more non-intrusive checks for bots sending Friend Requests and PMs such as username comparison to other users frequently sending PMs
  2. Introducing an external (or in house), opt-in anti spam, similar to what was available before in ROBLOX+, based on a system similar to the deep learning algorithms used by SpamAssassin

Edit: oops for accidentally posting attack vectors. Botters, stop being nasty :imp:

10 Likes

Seems they pushed the update which allows people with Manage Group Games permissions to see the server lists again. :smile:

15 Likes

@Caelestene I had brought this up in another thread (where I also go into the problems this update has caused), but if bots are the issue why remove the entire server list? Wouldn’t removal of player information be enough? You’d then also have space to add in other information, such as server ping. Users would then have the listings we want, bots can’t get player information to spam, and a little something extra potentially.

7 Likes

@Caelestene You need to give the role that anyone can view the server list. Please. It’s absolutely killing the games that operate within a community.

For example, the Napoleonic genre is a genre with groups well over 1000 members each. Combining upwards of 10,000 passionate players who can now not access their group’s games.

3 Likes

Thought Roblox promised to bring back serverlists for all group members. Only group members with edit perms can see the serverlists. Very disappointed.

Clan communities and events are getting damaged badly by this update…

7 Likes

They said this is a planned update, with a group permission which allows set roles to view the server list.
However, this seems to have been retracted from the original post.

3 Likes

Pretty sure that has always been the case.

Not for group games, it was recently readded.

Has anybody actually got hold of the bot program(s) and looked into how it works?

Could a ‘First Seen at’ piece of information be implemented into every user, to find out where they first see or meet a player(s) - then use this to track where the bots are finding players?

Could the bots just be running through the Search engine for players?

Can certain limitations be enforced on newly created accounts, such as;
Searching for players until (x) days are past
If the user doesn’t play a game in (x) amount of time, terminate the account?

Perhaps even limiting the amount of PMs a user can send per day, at least for new users?

8 Likes

Are you sure it fixed bots?

10 Likes

lol no

2 Likes

I’m planning on contacting one of those groups and asking how they do it currently.

2 Likes

That group will deny it for starters. My friends and I joined it and started messing with them. You’ll have to find another. But good luck.

2 Likes

Damnit. That makes me sad.

Funny how they say ‘if you don’t like how we’re spamming you, don’t reply’
Almost as if they don’t realise it could get them banned.

2 Likes

They’re the ones starting with sending it, us replying doesn’t stop/start the spam. If they’re stupid enough to say that, they might be unable to realize they’re doing something wrong. or at least the person you talked to. the one that actually made the bot has to be some level above stupid I’d say

Yeah - anyone who spams devforum members with obvious spam lacks intelligence

Someone literally ran this bot on the group members list on the RBXDev group to get people to download a fake extension.

…And it worked, that user is probably still on a devforum account

2 Likes

I’m in the group and didn’t get a message. I’ve set it that everyone can message me, so that’s not it.

If it’s one of those extensions that uses Discord, you could (spam and) delete the webhook.

It was literally a ‘DevForum Group Notifier’ made by ‘EchoReaper’ so it was def. targeted at RBXDev