Server List Update

I’ve been in it since February (Jan 29 to be exact), so it must’ve been from before then, or it skipped some people.

1 Like

This doesn’t really help the botting situation.
They’ll just stop scraping server lists and start spamming by UserIDs.

9 Likes

When can we expect a release date for something that will fix the server problem for community driven games?

10 Likes

Hello, Colbert.
If you were developing for a group then wouldn’t you have the edit games permission? The edit games permission gives you permission to view the server lists. That’s from what I’ve heard. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

Although overall with this update, I do disagree, I try join Site 108 or something like that, I will end up joining a new server.
How is Sigma going to be able to raid CI?
More communication would be nice before making changes this large.

3 Likes

I do have group game permissions and therefore I can see server lists, but the problem is that I require others to see it so they’re able to join servers properly and not create new ones. A bypass is to have someone currently in the server as a friend and join through them, but that’s not always effective.

1 Like

Can you please give us an update on this.

2 Likes

You can re-implement a server list yourself for in-game. You do this by adding a lobby to your game where people can view all servers (which are all reserved servers that send an alive pinger every X time frame), and subsequently players can teleport to any of the servers that are in the list.

I was recently contracted to implement the back-end for a server browser for games like this one if you want to get an idea of what it would be like. This is a pretty full-blown solution, if you have a smaller game you probably don’t even need something as advanced.

I wouldn’t expect a solution from Roblox for your specific problem very soon, if you need a solution urgently then you will probably have to tackle this problem yourself (or hire someone to fix the problem for you)

6 Likes

Im finding this update really annoying when i am gaming on roblox in general. When i want to join a different server with more people, ect i have to keep spamming the play button and hope i get a good server lol.

11 Likes

What does this mean exactly? From the looks of it What I’m hoping is, it seems we will be able to upload some kind of lua script that allows for developers to manage this.

This would be actually pretty sweet, but we’d need a way for the server and this script to communicate with each other, as well as letting the script grab basic information from the server list (jobid, serverid, num of players, what players are playing, time server has been alive, server version, etc.)

3 Likes

This is hardly a solution.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend adding some random dudes’ private module into your game.

7 Likes

That only works with joining the instances that friends are in, not public instances. That’s not a solution nor am I going to use require(id) as module scripting within the group is a banned practice.

also stop using 108 as an example no one knows what it is

When are we getting an update on this? @Caelestene @Nightgaladeld

It’s having a shocking impact on the mature age players who like to play ROBLOX for the community gaming. (Group battles)

2 Likes

They removed the statement saying they are looking into adding a permission within groups to see server lists. Most likely, that means it’s not happening.

You could always make your own server list system. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@SerClockwerk

1 Like

Yep I noticed they did that :unamused:

Don’t want to do this because my group has a navy and an army. Two seperate groups, with multiple forts or battlegrounds on each group. You can’t currently get the server lists from places under different users or groups so I can’t copy and paste a server list place on each group.

Also it’s not the easiest to create a server list. I know someone who can make it for me, but that also means every other group that is participating needs to make one too.

3 Likes

I’m disappointed that they decided to stop working on the group permissions, this update has caused alot of problems and it seems like the matchmaking API they mentioned is far from finished.

14 Likes

So when am I going to get the ability to give my moderators access to the server list so they can, you know, actually do their jobs? You guys have only made my games more dangerous because we can’t respond to issues in a timely manner anymore. The absence of countermeasures to fix what you screwed up is getting more and more frustrating with each passing day.

13 Likes

Are moderators not able to follow others into specific servers?

Not if said player has their privacy settings turned up.

1 Like

im finding myself in situations where i need that server list honestly

3 Likes