Server List Update

same, sometimes i keep joining a server with a friend in it when i just want to play by myself

1 Like

Use datastores to save an ongoing list of servers with JobIDs (maybe players if you want to join any player) and use http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/TeleportService/TeleportToPlaceInstance. Instanceid is just the JobID of the game. If you need help, shoot me a PM.

2 Likes

Datastores is not a scalable cross-server communications network.

@EchoReaper pointed out in a different thread that there is a method in TeleportService that can give you the InstanceId of the server a player is in, then you can teleport to it.

2 Likes

Was not aware of such a method, that works just as well.

also, I’ve used the method in my game that’s had up to around 3,000ish players max, to no problems

What? If you have the edit permission you can see the server list.

1 Like

No no, I knew that. When this post was first made, they said they were looking into making a group permission to allow people to view the server lists, which was removed from the OP.

4 Likes

I’d like to reiterate that this change negatively affects game accessibility when a Roblox server starts experiencing massive issues. Roblox’s matchmaking still tries dumping players into broken servers on my game. Because we are no longer allowed to have any say in which running server we join, players are effectively kept from visiting my games until the errant servers are forcefully closed or manage to resolve themselves.

The problems that spurred this downgrade could have easily been fixed in a far more graceful manner that didn’t spur such negative side effects. It’s been over two months and practically none of our concerns with this have been addressed.

26 Likes

Could we get any information on the matchmaking tools that are in progress?

7 Likes

I’m guessing you accidentally posted that here, but just in case, there is a thread dedicated to introducing yourself here: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/introduction-thread-for-new-members/40896/369. That way, the thread can stay on-topic.

1 Like

Hello, I would like a response from a staff member on what is being worked on to make the removal of this feature lesser of a pain.

@Nightgaladeld @Lilly_S

8 Likes

The most frustrating thing about removing the server list (so far) to me has been that it constantly puts me into servers with my friends. If I leave that server to try to join another server, I’ll end up in a server with my friends again. The same server.

I feel like “automatically join friends” should be an option in settings. I’ve had to unfriend people before just to get into new servers.

16 Likes

@SerClockwerk Aye this is very frustrating to me as well, since I also am in the roblox clan system. Roblox seems to be altogether ignoring the needs of this section of the community altogether,

4 Likes

Our clan has had to leave and rejoin the game dozens of times cause people get put in seperate servers, the only way to actually get into the same server is to follow them. It’s really annoying and frustrating everyone.

10 Likes

Thank you so much! Also thank you for listening to the community. (No links to profile)

13 Likes

Finally! It’s so nice to be able to view the servers, let alone have the choice to pick which server we wish to join again. Thank you!

2 Likes

Updating this thread. As stated above the server list has returned! There will be an official post early in the morning with more information. Thank you very much to everyone who provided us with feedback in this thread. We appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Huge thanks to @Caelestene and @Brouhahaha

36 Likes

Caelestene or Brouhahaha for Vice President.

Still on board Tiffblocks for President.

2 Likes

Great news!

Though, would it be possible to add in information on whether a given person in the server collection in the server list is a friend / follower / following (separate, i.e. true/false)? - it lets users see if they have multiple friends / followers / followings playing in the same server.

Can you change it so people with edit access can see user ids/usernames/profile?

6 Likes

Everyone’s welcome. Listening to the community is a core part of our philosophy.

There are features we discussed that could enrich the server list, and in the future we will get these going.

14 Likes