Server Log History (Released)

I’ll publish tonight just because there aren’t any issues that make it unusable, but you may not see some of the features/fixes I have planned until later. I think I’ll publish it as a (public) MainModule so that way users can opt in to automatic updates, but also have the ability to opt out in case they’re not a fan of someone being able to remotely update things in their game.

This might expand before tonight, but this is the current game plan (I’m not sure where I’ll be by release):

(FYI stack traces aren’t specifically wrong, but they have unrelated stuff tacked on sometimes)

2 Likes

With the update to stack traces, not only is unrelated stuff being included fixed, but it’s also smart enough to group stack traces, hide duplicates, and show different ones (it used to hide duplicate messages regardless, which meant if you had two different stack traces, but they shared one or more lines, those lines would be omitted from the second stack trace):

1 Like

The first release is out! Check the updated OP for more info.

@TwentyTwoPilots @Tinarg

5 Likes

u the realest

4 Likes

This is so useful for debugging client-side errors which I can not replicate!

wow this is really useful, glad it got bumped

1 Like

Goodbye f9!
Looks like I will be using this from now on

1 Like

Works great, what would be even cooler is if it had the ability to connect it to a webhook and get all server/client logs there.

I think adding that would motivate people too much to use it in conjunction with Discord, so that seems like a bad idea. (Discord webhooks are not intended for event logging, it’s against their TOS)

1 Like

Or something like trello would work even.

Trello is also not meant for logging…

3 Likes

If you’d really like to go the external route I suggest using something that is purpose built for error logging, such as Sentry. You should ensure that any service you are using for logging allows it in their terms of service, otherwise you will have problems.

1 Like

Agreed, I think Discord/Roblox only recently allowed you to use the webhook in-game.

If people begin using it for logging (as stated, against TOS) then they may block the webhook again / whatever they did before.

I prefer being able to rely on the actual Discord webhook than proxies.

I think I’m missing something incredibly basic, but how do you set this up to make it start working?

Edit: Nevermind I’m an absolute idiot haha

1 Like

Awesome, this will come in handy.

I just installed this today. I require the module from my main server script and there are no errors or bugs but it just does not open the UI. I tried F8 and /log in the chat. Any pointers?

I figured it out. In case it is useful to others, the script bootstraps itself by inserting a client script into StarterPlayer. In my case, I required the module at a point where the player had already joined. While this would be fine for a long running server where players come and go, it did not work for local testing in studio. The tip is to place the require right at the top of your mains script before any players have joined the experience.

That’s actually interesting and giving me an idea.
Let’s say that one user is exploiting and he’s trying out his best mediocre LUAU skills at trying to cheat on the game.

If his injected scripts error out, would it be possible to see it on the client logs?

At that point you might as well have client-sided anticheat

I don’t know what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get it to work at all