ServerStorage vs. ReplicatedStorage

There are two well known storages across Roblox, and of course, those are ServerStorage and ReplicatedStorage. From what I hear, there is very little to no difference between the two. What’s something that ServerStorage would be better for and something ReplicatedStorage would be better for. I would really like to know the difference! :slightly_frowning_face:

18 Likes

There is one main difference. Items in ReplicatedStorage can be accessed via the client side, whereas things in ServerStorage can only be accessed by the server. This means things that you need to access from the client, such as RemoteEvents, etc, should be put into ReplicatedStorage so that the LocalScripts are able to access these things. ServerStorage should be used to house things that will be only accessed by the server, for example maps. This is the main difference between them, but essentially they do the same thing. Just that ReplicatedStorage can be accessed by the client AND the server, but ServerStorage can only be accessed by the server. Hope this helps.

70 Likes

I am extremely new to Studio, so I would like to clarify that a client is something that can be accessed through all servers running in the game?

4 Likes

The client is the player, so you’d be accessing things through that player’s computer. This is why a LocalScript is called "Local"Script, as these scripts run locally on the client’s computer. The server is the game server, and it is what handles what everyone sees. For example, if you try to move a part on the client, the server disagrees and only you will see the part that has moved. So in summary, the client that I am referring to means the player, the server is the server.

23 Likes