Servo Motor Responsiveness

Dear developers,

We will be releasing a change for servo motors very soon that will increase their stability, but may have an impact on the behavior of games which currently employ servo motors. Please continue reading if you use HingeConstraint, CylindricalConstraint, or PrismaticConstraint and their AngularActuatorType/ActuatorType is set to Servo in your games.

We would like to ask anyone who is employing the feature described above to reach out with a testing place number where we will activate the new feature for you to experiment with and fix any possible issues before the public release.

The improvement in the stability of the servos was made internally with a PD controller, which will expose a new API property under Servo section called “AngularResponsiveness” for HingeConstraint, and angular actuator of the CylindricalConstraint. The property is called “LinearResponsiveness” for the PrismaticConstraint and the linear actuator of the CylindricalConstraint. By tuning the responsiveness, you will be able to control how fast the servo should try to reach the final stage. We have evaluated a default value for this parameter to match the previous behavior, but again depending on how exactly you use servos you may see some differences which can be fixed by fine tuning responsiveness of the servo.

As a reminder, please post your testing place number below or send me a direct message and we will enable the beta feature for you to test with. Thank you.

102 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 18 minutes.

Hi, I would like it enabled for this place: 3737666180

3 Likes

Hi! Thanks for making these a thing, it’ll really help add to the feel of a game me and some others working on (mostly focused on industry).

Our place’s ID is: 6149133038
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi there! I would love to have it! Thank you so much for making this.

I would like it enabled for this place id: 6447566393

1 Like

Another day. Another physics update to play with.

I have noticed the way the steering on my car is a bit wonky. Hopefully this is corrected with the update and no other adverse effects appear in its place!

3 Likes

2 places please! If they are less springy I’m gonna love this!!

1 Like

I would like to have it enabled.

1 Like

If we’re already beta testers, shouldn’t it automatically be put in our places?

Can you please enable it here: 2412463382

1 Like

Nah, this might mess with some functions people have and is better to be opt in until it’s rolled out well.

2 Likes

Forcing an update that may have an impact on game behavior automatically is an absolutely ludicrous sentiment- Roblox should never do this. Imagine if all beta features were enforced on your games without consent. You wouldn’t like that, would you? Rather, it would be better to pick and choose which beta features are included where.

I am more than happy that beta features aren’t automatically imposed.

2 Likes

This is the whole point of this thread…? To become beta testers for the new servo motor improvements?

1 Like

Would like it Enabled and tried please, time to spice up Vehicle Physics
ID: 6437704634

1 Like

He’s saying the existing beta tester program should extend to beta testing this, since it’s literally meant to be a beta testing program for features not ready for the general public yet. It’s not “forcing an update that may have an impact on game behavior automatically… without consent” when you opt into a beta testing program and get beta features in your games.

5 Likes

My place isn’t public, if that’s not a requirement than I’d like to opt in, I use all those constraints in 1 project. 478190174.

1 Like

I would like to try this out.

Place Id: 6424223503

1 Like

I would love if you enabled it here: 6036433533

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, I would like to test it for some test… ID place : 4766187203

Thanks!

1 Like

This is lovely! We’d gladly test this out before main rollout here: 3684024201

1 Like