Setting up a game

I am building a game- and am not sure where to put things- like a “blueprint”.

Any suggestions or tips to help with this?

2 Likes

I’m assuming what you mean by blueprint is a sketch of the map you’re trying to build.

If you’re trying to plan the layout of a map using a blueprint, you can either use a paint software to do a quick sketch or to build some outlines in studio with parts.

You can just lay parts out in studio that follow a general guideline and then delete it once you’ve finished building the actual map. If you’re trying to sketch it out on paper or some sort of painting software, you can always just keep it available next to you (or on your computer) ready to look at again while you’re building.

2 Likes

I suggest putting this in game design support. Unless the blueprint does’t involve scripting.

1 Like

I should clarify- since I was confusing. I am confused on what would be the right way to place buildings- that is appealing to the eye.

I don’t want it all to be surrounded by a “circle” pathway- with houses, but I want it to be a little town/village that looks nice to see.

I hope this cleared up my thought process.

I’m not so sure of what you mean by blueprint but here’s some suggestions.

I would 100% have like a sketchbook if you’re talking about building design and UI designs. Even if you’re not really good at art, a few lines in a sketch book have a greater meaning in your head, because after all, you drew those lines for a reason.

If you’re talking about scripting, i don’t think there is much planning stuff to do, but if you do feel like planning is necessary, i would use the ‘NotePad’ or go with the sketchbook. Same goes with planning of the overall game so for example if you want a story line, write it down, or if you have come up with unique game ideas and game mechanics, write it down. Also i would 100% have a white board while scripting, it really helps your brain concentrate more and come up with different solutions to your problems you encounter while scripting.

Hope this helped :+1:

1 Like

You can make a blueprint by creating one in an external software and making it into a decal, following that. If you’re basing it from a town or village from real life, then look at a birds eye view of the town and estimate the size of the street (I usually use dummies or cars for scale) if not, just find buildings that fit your style and make them in a line, making a street. It’s not too hard :slight_smile:

1 Like

This helped a lot thank you- I will look into getting a sketchbook and start writing down all my ideas. I have a google document- but it isn’t so much help with the actual “look” of the game.

I would try to take a look at some different real-life cities and how they’re structured, perhaps on google maps from an aerial view. I suggest looking at New York, but it’s up to you what style you want to go for. Definitely try to play around with how the buildings are placed. If you’re going for a city or town, then I would definitely add a few four-way intersections or T-intersections and then add sidewalks and buildings along the sides of the roads.

I drew a rough sketch of a nice city layout (excuse my drawing skills) that would look well with different buildings, but in the end it’s up to you how you want to layout your buildings to look the best. After you’ve built it, I would recommend posting to the Building Support forum asking for feedback on your map so you can try to find some improvements if you still feel like it’s not up to par.

Example layout:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ll be trying out this- and I appreciate the advice. :smile: