ShadowMap lighting shadows are pixelated/low quality

Reproduction Steps

1. On a mobile device, join any Roblox experience that has Lighting.Technology set to ShadowMap/Future or open the avatar editor tab.

2. Observe the visible shadowmaps closely…

Device: iPhone 11
iOS version: 14.8 (recently updated to 15.0.1 after this post, issue still persists)

Expected Behavior
I expect ShadowMap/Future shadows to be smooth on mobile, similar to how they appear on PC and console.

Actual Behavior
ShadowMap/Future shadows appear pixelated/blocky, regardless of the graphics level being used.

Issue Area: Mobile App
Issue Type: Other/Graphical
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly

7 Likes

I can confirm that bug is also a thing on the Iphone X with iOS 15.1!

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

4 Likes

Still not fixed on iOS 15.3, iPhone 12 mini.

5 Likes

Still not yet fixed, though It seems that all Lighting Technologies (especially Future) have very buggy/pixelated shadows. Changing the graphics any lower or higher does not affect much to the pixelated shadows.

Images taken from IOS 15.0, iPad 9th generation
4 Likes

Yea, the Future & Shadow Map are unplayable on iOS, we legit can’t publish our game until this is fixed because it looks that terrible.

@Tconnect @kleptonaut @vrtblox any chance someone looks into this?

edit: since the problem may cause eye strain & nausea (on Future lighting, at least, because the shadows blink so much), it should be pretty serious

3 Likes

is it like this? Look at my jump button

No, the low-quality UI is a separate issue. Likely the result of playing on an older device.

It isn’t. I’m having the issue on the latest iPad Air…

The UI buttons or the ShadowMaps? If it’s the UI then that’s an issue for a different topic.

this was fixed, sorry for inconvenience. it’ll take some time to ship though but the fix is in

7 Likes

Yeah, I was on about the UI.
Think someone is reporting the bug.

3 Likes

Alright i opened Roblox today and it SEEMS TO BE FIXED! Thank you for letting us know that the shadows have been fixed :smiley:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.