Shadows Fade Away/Disappear When You Move Away From Them

1. Go to File > Studio Settings

2. Go to Rendering > Editor Quality Level

If this is not Level 21, set this to 21.

Done!

Not so fast.
The issue they are having is that shadows aren’t rendering at far distances.
Roblox rendering does this automatically to ease the load on your computer so it will reduce lag.

this is sorta a dumb question, as with any game engine there’s gonna be optimization, and why would it matter if the shadows don’t look as good 1000 studs away.

1 Like

@Scottifly is right, and even if I set the Graphics Settings to 21 the shadows still disappear. You also mentioned that large builds can affect my shadow render distance. I do have some pretty big builds, but I don’t want to get rid of them. What can I do about it?

This is done for optimization, and unless you stare at shadows all day, then the high-performance voxel replacement shouldn’t really be too bad.

1 Like

You mean changing the lighting technology to Voxel?

No, Voxel is technically always used even in shadowmap. If you switch between Voxel and ShadowMap at the distance where the shadow becomes a simple blob, then it should look about the same.

The shadow is replaced by a what it would look like with Voxel, is what I meant.

1 Like

So when the shadows becomes all messed up, I switch to Voxel and then back to ShadowMap right? It doesn’t seem to change anything.

No no no, you can’t make it look any better. I’m not trying to say that. I’m just saying Roblox automatically uses Voxel’s shadows at a far enough away distance because it’s more performant than ShadowMap’s shadows.

1 Like

Oh, I get it now. I got a little confused on what you were trying to say. :sweat_smile:

I know big builds can affect the render distance of my shadows, but what do I do about it without having to get rid of my builds.

Actually, after some testing, I can’t reproduce your problem:

My shadow stays the same shape no matter how far out i zoom, untill you hit around 500+ studs distance at which point the shadow will dissappear.(this is the thing you can’t do anything about).

I don’t know why your shadow is getting blurred. I can’t reproduce it.

similar size box to yours zoomed even further:

Wow, that’s really weird. Can you take a screen shot of your studio rendering settings?

Sure, here they are:

I don’t think it’s my settings because I tried changing them to those settings and shadows will still not render properly.

Weird. Maybe Roblox thinks your PC is higher-end and only stops rendering shadows at a distance where even the voxel shadows aren’t rendered?

Have you tried actually playing the game in studio then zooming out the camera really far?

I tried playing the game in studio, same crispy shadow:

Maybe there’s a specific way to get the shadows messed up. It can’t be my device because I’ve tried different devices to play my game. Is your studio up to date?

Edit: What device are you using?

I might be completely wrong but I noticed that depending on your actual system specs, Roblox does some optimizations in the background depending on your device even if said settings are at max graphics levels.

Of course, I might be completely wrong as there might be other factors into account such as program settings and such.

I’ve noticed this as I’ve switched from a lower end device to a more higher end one.

This is as far as I can get until shadows begin to blur: