Shared Datastores between two games

Ok, so hear me out.

I see popular games like Deepwoken and Phantom Forces that have data that share across other games like for example Deepwoken shares the same datastore as Deepwoken Dev (i’m not too sure about this info since i only saw videos from other people)

What I’m trying to say is, is it possible to set and get datastore data from other games?
I know some devforum posts say no but I’ve created a new post because of the new cloud api and wondering if there is a way I can use the cloud api to share datastores between games

Please read the post before replying and thanks.

1 Like

Most likely, the places are connected to the same universe/experience/game.

Connected places will share the same datastore.

1 Like

It’s definitely possible to link between two game using Cloud API, i could look into creating a such solution for it, as it also peeks my interest.

2 Likes

I’ll just give a detailed explanation.
So we have 2 forms of ‘games’: Experiences and Places.
An Experience is just the environment for all places, meanwhile Places are the actual games. (Take Notoriety as an example. They have 1 Experience, with many different places.)
DataStores work based on the Experience. This means you can share data across Places.

Whenever a game shares Data across Experiences, then that should imply that the data is being saved via a third party (cloud system or something similar).

In Short: Datastores can be shared across places, but not across experiences without the use of Cloud APIs.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I asked with the use of Cloud API’s and if so how would I be able to do so?

Alright, if you do keep me updated I guess.

1 Like

Cloud API would work similarly to Roblox Datastores. You’d need a specific key (typically the Roblox UserId), and with the help of HttpService, send a request to save data onto the Cloud.
When the player joins, send a request to retrieve the data from that Cloud.

In short: Ignore Roblox Datastore, and fully rely on Cloud API instead.

1 Like

i don’t see why i would have extensive data usage

1 Like

As PixelAissar said. If you can code properly, then you can limit the amount of times you read/write into the Cloud.
And honestly, the same would apply with Roblox’s DataStore.

2 Likes

The limits of Roblox’s Datastore are significantly higher by the fact that it scales based on the number of players in-server. You won’t need to worry about it too much if you only retrieve or write to it when a player joins or leaves.

However, if you continuously retrieve or rewrite information from the cloud API in the same way you do to normal datastores, you’re very likely to encounter rate limits quite frequently.

I found a solution to making something like this, here’s the devforum post if anyone wants it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.