Ship not floating

I need help floating this aircraft carrier. I learned how ships have hallow bottoms to keep it floating but mine isn’t floating that high. I don’t want to lower the density because I want it to be realistic.

Use the CustomPhysicalProperties checkbox in your Parts.
Water Density = 1
Your boat’s overall Density is obviously less than 1, but you probably want it less than it is so it floats higher.
The problem there is that if the center of gravity (center of Mass) is higher than the surface of the water the boat will want to tip.

I’d suggest making the Parts above the waterline have a Density of something like .6.
Make the Parts below the waterline something like Density .8.
Put a large transparent, CanCollide false Part with it’s Density about 1.2 far below the ship that acts like a counterweight (or in ship terms ballast) and weld it to the boat.
Experiment with the Density and placement of your Parts, starting with getting the boat to float where you want it by changing the ballast density first.
If the boat is too tippy then decrease the density of the parts above the waterline and increase the density of the ballast.
Keep experimenting until the boat handles like you expect it to.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.