Should I be updating animations server or local?

At the moment, I clone the Default Animation local script through the client instead of the server, and my game changes say, walking/idle animations constantly. Should I be updating it in the client or server, or does animation replicated either way?

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong but they can and should be run locally.

2 Likes

Not sure about the should but rn they do run local and it works.

I’m asking this because when I change the Idle animation of the player, the player has to move (like walk forward) to update and play the new idle animation. Is there a way to like force “update” the animations or something so I don’t need to walk forward/move to make the new idle/running animation start playing, it just happens upon change

Right now I’m doing a method where I force the player to dash forward a little upon update to update the animation, but that sees impractical

They can’t be updated on the server. The local script acts serversided in these cases, meaning the animations can be seen. I have no clue why you can’t put animations in a script, but you just can’t.

does this apply to all animations? or only the character movement animations (walk, idle, etc.)

You are correct. Animations replicate automatically :relieved: :nail_care:

Can anyone refer to my updating question

I’m asking this because when I change the Idle animation of the player, the player has to move (like walk forward) to update and play the new idle animation. Is there a way to like force “update” the animations or something so I don’t need to walk forward/move to make the new idle/running animation start playing, it just happens upon change

You can test this theory by just going on the server mode on roblox studio. If you ever have any questions relating to that, you can check yourself. This is really good practice.

That’s because you are using roblox’s animation. You would need to create your own script or move the character 0.001 stud forward for it to play.

Yep I was right, animations belonging to a player should be run on the client, and for NPCs it should be the server.

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/function/Humanoid/LoadAnimation