Should I be using tools anymore?

Hello Dev forum members,

So my question right now is should I even really be using tools anymore? I’ve been using tools for years now. To make lightsabers, swords, guns, etc. And I have always been decently happy with the results…

But I was reading this awesome tutoral:

And it just got me thinking… Is it a better option right now and in the long run to make guns, swords, and all that stuff all using models and animations (with moter6Ds) and custom code the equip and unequip process for my own “tools” rather then using the old ROBLOX tools?

tl;dr
should I make a custom framework to make weapons with models and animate them myself rather then using old roblox tools?

7 Likes

It’s 100% up to personal preference. The only direct benefit is perhaps a little bit more control in regards to welding the tool to the players hand, tool animations etc. However, it can easily be observed that many of the top games still use ordinary Roblox tools. In essence, it depends on your application and preference.

3 Likes

Ah, thanks. Also quick follow up question, is the most efficient way to make say guns really to animate a gun and character for each one? Is this just how its done?

Yeah, in most instances whether a tool is being used or not, the gun model is welded to the character, generally the hand, and the character is animated, you might have some moving parts on the gun but that can be done through a script.

1 Like

Using tools is absolutely preferential. In fact, you can still follow that tutorial while using Tool instances. Simply uncheck RequiresHandle, change the name to avoid backend behaviour and create the RightGrip yourself.

Custom tool frameworks are usually a bit of a pain but they feel rewarding in terms of your ability to make systems. Really though, I’ve seen non-Tool-instance-tools mostly being used to avoid backspacing tools… that’s it really, lol.

I had a thread up about this some time ago that you can look at:

2 Likes

Thanks! I am not worried about following the tutorial with out tools, im aware how too. But I was just thinking about performance.

Performance? A custom tool system would definitely be more performant then. You have less processes running around the clock, less instances and higher control.

:+1:

4 Likes