Should I continue on this game or scrap it?

My recent game is a small 3 player coop horror game I’ve been working on with my friend, but I haven’t gotten much motivation to continue working on it while ideas have been flowing in super fast.
Currently, you just walk through a hallway and later split up with your 2 other friends.

I’ve made a couple of cool mechanics like a 3d menu, a flashlight system (toggled with Q), a GUI radio system, and a small story but I haven’t been able to move forward at all.

How do I gain motivation to continue this small project? Is it even worth it to finish?

5 Likes

This game seems interesting. I believe it would certainly be worth continuing.

I like the idea of a co-op horror game and it certainly has a lot of room for exciting gameplay.

With a few additions such as a custom cursor, view bobbing, and other immersive features, this could become a truly horrifying experience. I would certainly play it, and I’m sure others would too. Great work so far, very well made.

Please continue this game. The ui is the ugliest thing I ever seen but can easily be worked on. The effects in the main menu blown my mind. It was very good. Im sure you can come a long way with this project.

This seems like a genuinely cool idea for a game. In my opinion, it would be worth it to continue it.

However, as for motivation, I feel the absolute best thing you can do is take a small break and do something else you enjoy. Developing 24/7 and always trying to add ideas you come up with will be bad for motivation; though I can say this: Never give up, always try your best. Do not push yourself too hard or push yourself past your own personal limits, this will hugely decrease motivation and inspiration to continue a project. Take your time; and do not rush yourself.

The fact you have made a 3d menu, a flashlight toggle system, and more is an absolutely amazing accomplishment so far. I believe in you and I believe that if you follow the advice above, taking your time, you may be able to find much more motivation and much more willingness to work on the game and get what you want to do done. Make a document where you store ideas and put them there. However, taking your time is key when dealing with motivation for games. Good things come to those who wait, and I am sure this will happen if you take a break, and don’t rush yourself. A friend of mine likes to refer to something like this as “Development hell”, and it is where you are unable to find the motivation to do anything with your game, are unable to work without losing motivation, and without it affecting you mentally.

I feel that to get around this you can always just take all the time off you need. Don’t let players or people pushing you to get this game out get to you, and do not force yourself to work on it. Come back to it when you feel you are ready and when you feel you have enough motivation to continue development, and take breaks when you feel like it. Don’t force yourself to make updates or work on the game because that just makes it worse.

I believe in you 100%, I believe you can get through development hell. Just take some time off, have a nice break, and then come back when you, personally, feel ready.

Hopefully this advice helped a bit. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I actually just fixed a couple of bugs right now so joining and actually starting the game will be much smoother!

3 Likes

Of course! Happy to hear that this helped! And, good job fixing those bugs! That is your first step towards success; keep it up, and remember, take your time! You are doing a great job so far. :grinning:

I do agree that the UI could look better, however, please do keep in mind that they are most likely a newer developer, and made it under stress as well as little motivation. So, in this case, and including this, they did an astoundingly good job on this, as they performed well under pressure. All in all, I agree with what he said- the effects are absolutely amazing, and I am sure you can come a long way with this project, @AviaCheddar, including the constructive criticism and tips me and the people here have given. :smiley:

1 Like