Should I do Commissions? (Español disponible)

Hello all! Recently, I made the following picture,

I’ve always had the desire to do commissions for drawings like these, but my paranoia has gotten the better of me, and I’m not sure if these would be worth much.

I’m just worried my art would be stolen, traced, etc. etc.

So, I’m wondering if I should do commissions and if my paranoia is legit or not. If i should do commissions, how much should I price per drawing? (This took 1 hour and 41 mins)

Thank you for reading!

Spanish Translation: | Para esos que hablan Español:

¡Hola! ¿Debería vender dibujos como este uno sobre? ¿Qué debería el precio ser? Tiempo tomado: 1 hora y 41 minutos. ¡Comentario abajo por favor y gracias! (Lo siento si mi Español es malo. Yo hablo y un poco de Español)

7 Likes

Your art is really good and you should definitely be open to commissions. Art theft, tracing, etc are sadly common things that happen but I suggest researching ways to hopefully cut down on them (proper watermarks, etc). Price point most would put Robux wise at 400-800 for the sort of thing you drew above but it really does come down to what you feel is a good price. Hope this some what helps :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes definitely! Your drawings are awesome!

1 Like

As a fellow artist (y además compañero de lenguaje) I think you should totally take the risk. Start with low prices such as 500-800 R$ and as you get popular keep increasing them, as they are worth well over 2k R$.

Don’t be shy and do your best. If you need any advice, I’m open to talk.

2 Likes

Thank you! If you do have any advice on how I can prevent theft, I would love to know!

A fellow spanish speaker! ¡Hola! (I’m still quite a beginner though haha)

1 Like

Theft haven’t been much of a problem with me. When you accept a comission do a watermarked version and deliver that one, once they pay you, you can give them the final piece, but always with a “signature”, something small that distinguish you and doesn’t affect the piece. Here’s an example of one of mine:

As you can see, there’s a tiny “Dvd” on a corner.

You are doing quite well with Spanish, keep going!

2 Likes

Ahh i see! Thank you! I’ll definitely do that. (Although let’s hope no one is able to remove it, but that’s probably just me being paranoid)

And wow! Your art is amazing!

2 Likes

Oh, they absolutely can, but most of time thieves are lazy that they don’t even bother removing that. But if you ever encounter someone stealing you:

1. Take it as a sign that you are doing it so well that people is now jealous enough to steal from you
  2. Just fill out a complain.

There isn’t that much to worry about

2 Likes

Alrighty! Thank you, I feel much better now. I may start doing commissions very soon!

1 Like

Starting commissions is 100% your choice, it’s entirely up to you. The same goes with pricing, you choose how much your art is worth.

Here are things I learned when I started out:

• Experience is something you truly need, people can ask for so many different things and if you can’t actually do it, you’d have to turn them down. But, as you have more and more commissions you’d obviously have more knowledge and thus, your art becomes better.

• Good communication skills. You truly need this as it can also determine whether or not your clients would like to work with you. Be mature, rational, and easy to work with. If your client does something you don’t like, don’t blow up on them just yet. Work it out easily to get back on track. You’d also learn this better as you progress.

• Know how to protect your work. Have a clear TOS (terms of service) so that when something goes wrong, you and your client will understand. I send the watermarked image first, then after payment, I give the final.

That’s kind of all I have, good luck if you start!

2 Likes