Should I import to blender then back to studio?

Simply put, my aim is to have as little lag as possible, I want my game to be played on all platforms and devices, however when it comes to smaller devices, lag may be an issue.

I know my game is going to be big with lots of models, parts and scripts, however the higher part count, the more lag,(this is only true in some cases) this may be a problem.

I’ve tried blender, but it is difficult for me as it is complicated and there are disadvantages for laptops.

I’ve searched the forum and couldn’t find any info on importing to blender and back to studio. My question is, if I import a model to blender from studio and then back to studio, will it make it a mesh and is that a method to reduce lag?

If it is not, do you know any methods except reducing part count?
Thank you for reading and your time!

Any reply or additional info is very much appreciated!

2 Likes

Have you tried workspace.StreamingEnabled ?

1 Like

From experience, exporting from studio to blender, and back to studio isn’t the best idea.

In blender, the part comes out with this very weird texture, and importing it back to studio also gives it a different texture (although in studio it isn’t that noticeable).

1 Like

You can just right click on the model in the Workspace, export it as an OBJ, and use that as the mesh file.

2 Likes

Came across a problem, it has only one colour to it.

How exactly would I include this n the game, like where should I put the script and is that all there is to it?

It seems way too simple

I would only consider this option for complex models or models used repeatedly. It would be extremely excessive if every asset had its own mesh file to load every time you joined the game, and you’d end up defeating the point. Also, be sure to watch your triangle count. You can’t exceed 10k triangles per mesh, so if you’ve got a really complex model, you might need to import it from blender in parts.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no way around that. The only things I can think of is create a texture for it or create multiple mesh exports grouped by color then import it all and put it together.

Well it isn’t scriptable, you have to set this manually by going to the workspace’s properties. You can check this article if you wanna use it.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, and it’s most likely the case, the thing that affects performance is the number of triangles that the render engine renders. When you import a mesh from studio and back the only thing you’re doing is making it able to be deformed on all four axes but no longer modifiable outside of your third-party modeling software. The triangle count doesn’t change and the only thing that could possibly happen is that performance might even become worse as instead of making the game load multiple parts, it has to load a single mesh and that might cause lag spikes and/or mess with streaming enabled. In order to make an optimized mesh, you have to do it in a modeling software of your choice, the imports are simply… imports.

1 Like

I’ve heard that thus method doesn’t actually reduce lag? Is this true, I need clarification