Should I play npc animations on the server or the client?

Im working on an NPC system with 250 - 500 npcs, and so far its working ok. I was able to get 250 - 500 npc’s running with little to no fps drops whatsoever. But, I’m running into an issue. An issue where the server is sending more than 50 kb/s of data per second. I am moving the npcs on the client, the npcs humanoid root part is anchored at all times, and I am using Tween Service V2 to move them. But I am playing the animations on the server, so i’m assuming thats the issue. So i’m wondering if I should be playing the animations on the client or the server. Can somebody tell me which machine I should be playing the animation on?

1 Like

Im not really sure if local script Animations on NPCs even work but if it does then you should really go for Client Animation

1 Like

The reason why i’m assuming that the animations are causing the issue is because, since i’m playing them on the server, the server must be the one handling them which means it’s causing the client to receive more than it should per second.

You should be animating the NPC’s on the client because you want to take the load off of the server as much as possible. The Server should only deal with the important data and the Client should deal with all the visuals. If one Client changes the animations they will only see the changes and it will not effect the other Clients.

5 Likes