Should i remake my game?

should i remake my game or rework some of it?

so i really hate unorganized or confusing framworks, thats why i write my code clean and my workflow is organized, currently i am working on a roguelike game called “zone divers” something like risk of rain 2 but a lot more different.

the current framework is organized, but could be even more organized and i can rename the folders to represent what they are holding, but this will break almost all scripts and i will fix them, also i gotta somehow make the game set itself up after running it, so i dont have to change all scripts.

also im working on a new biome/terrain/landscape/level generating system and changing it also causes lots of errors and bugs to be fixed.

should i just deal with all bugs? maybe dont change the organization? or should i settle on a loong journay and remake the game? will port lots of assets from the old game, but read and rewrite most of the scripts to fit the more organized style of development. this will also let me create some systems from ground up instead of changing them part-by-part and dealing with bugs.

remaking the game;

pros:
more organized framework
more polished and simplistic game
having [remake] in my game name
i already have most of the scripts

cons:
takes MONTHS
repeating same things is boring
new errors to overcome
i might give up

so what do you think? should i remake it? i started a poll on my discord server and 3 people thinks it might be good to remake it while 2 people strongly dissagrees and will think it is gonna be a failure.

btw i cant provide you with gameplay because the game is currently in a limbo state, im changing lots of stuff and the game isnt in a playable state rn, but here is the link; Zone Divers - Roblox

also would appreciate any support like joining my discord server or making fan-art thumbnails for the game. |-) Next Level Developing (-|

thanks for help.

4 Likes

Do whatever feels right for you.

If the current framework is getting to a point where it’s super confusing to manage and use, remake it.

I’m also confused on what you mean by it will takes MONTHS. If you already have most of the scripts, isn’t it really just reworking the terrain generation and fixing variable names?

You have to understand how much time and effort you are willing to put, and if those will make a meaningful impact to your game.

You mention you have a lot of bugs and errors, but I can assure you a lot of the time, it’s not the necessarily the framework of the game, but to bad coding practices. Organizing the game may help, but depending on these so-called “bugs and errors” you are getting, you will still have to tackle then individually.

Are you looking to organize your game, or to completely rework your game? These are 2 different things. Organizing your game doesn’t take a long time, simply creating and moving folders around will not take a lot of work coding wise since you are only changing references. Reworking your game is a whole different beast, but only if you are confident you have improved upon your coding skill and are enforcing good coding practices. Otherwise, you are doing the same thing but with a different journey.

You also mention that it will take months, but that just tells me that your coding skills and/or speed may not be sufficient enough to warrant a rework. It would make sense if you already have a giant collection of scripts and have to redo a lot of both the front-end and back-end, but it seems to me you aren’t even finished with the prototype product. Keep that in mind as well.

Edit: Possibly move this into #development-discussion.

2 Likes

i will change most of the systems to be more configurable, thats why it takes time, im not a full time dev.

1 Like

i have 7 years of experience in lua scripting, im sure i can overcome those errors, but the confusing part is “if i will” because it can be frustrating, and the prototype product i,s very done, the game was in a playable and fun state, but it cant be played right now because of the overhauling process, im a solo developer, and i develop for fun not a full time job, this is why you might find it slow, game development IS a slow process

edit: i originally accidentaly posted it to development-disccussion but realized it was the wrong category and moved it to here, the one one the development-discussion already god flagged for wrong category.

1 Like

i said “i might give up” because thats the case in almost all mjy projects, i have over 500 abandoned projects, and some of them were in a playable and balanced state, i made some money from a few of them too, but im not here for the money, i want support, and those games had 0 active players for months, so i slowly archived all of them. changed roblox account, started working on more polished games.

1 Like

Then there is not much I can say but do not rework. If you are having troubles keeping motivation on one game, don’t bother on fancy frameworks and super clean organization.

You have a prototype now, you are posting this because you obviously have passion for it - that is because you have seen immediate results. Doing a whole rework will 100% burn you out because it is boring, and the payout is mostly what you have right now. Work off with what you have now, then if you feel like you should continue after your release, then start working on bug fixing or possibly even slowly reworking existing code.

If you ever need feedback on your game, feel free to message me. I can provide very insightful comments from both the player and developer perspectives.

1 Like

thanks, have a great day. (most people, on my discord and on devforum thinks i shouldnt rework, but i cant lose the urge to do so, i think i will give up and do it eventually)

What about you remaking it but first prototype it, you should be doing this anyways with anything you try to create but create the bare minimum mehcanics wise and if it works and it’s fun then you’re good to move on

yeah i will move stuff from my old game, organize and rewrite better, then create the new systems i want, then polsih the game, when all this is done, i will start reguarly doing content updates.