Should I stick with making my game alone?

For a while now I’ve been working on a car game and i’m not fluent in Lua I know how to use it but not fluent. I’m loosing motivation to carry on making this game as I keep getting stuck on scripting. Should I get someone to make it with me? Thanks.

2 Likes

When I learned to script, I first had a teacher teach me the basics and when I needed help, he’d help me with what I was stuck on. I still get stuck on things while making games, but that’s how you learn. You gotta get stuck before you can do amazing things.

5 Likes

Depends on your resources and your willingness to collaborate. Me? I’m a cheapy McCheaperson and have little trust in the capabilities and vision of other developers, so I remain a solo developer.

As a solo developer, I can tell you that working on a game all by yourself is very hard. Even with what I would consider a hefty amount of experience in programming, building and all the other branches of game design, making a good game is time-consuming and often littered with roadbumps.

Hope this helped! Good luck on your game, by the way.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I’m very new to the DevFourm community so it’s all new to me this really helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for the reply! After reading that I feel quite motivated to start again :slight_smile:

Working on a game alone allows for a lot of control. Meaning you can focus on what makes your game great rather than bloated features that arise from a team. However, good friends can be very motivating when working with them.

Also, work on SMALL PROJECTS, meaning having only 1 or 2 mechanics in your game that you can make a prototype for in 1 day.

Even your big projects should start as small of a scope as you can get, so that you only add what is necessary and benifits your game.

My first game was from a short tutorial on YouTube. My seconds was built off the first but with a light show theme, using lights and scripts that uses CFrames and while loops. My next few prototypes focused on advance player movement which I am still working on. Do not expect to progress at the same rate as others, because I have used many game engines before such as Unity and Godot, but then settled on Roblox for free publishing, servers, and its simplicity when it comes to graphics.

1 Like

thanks so much! I understand now! :slight_smile:

1 Like