Should I use basic trees or realistic ones?

Ill keep this thread short, should I use the blocky trees in the first photo, or the realistic ones in the second?

• Blocky trees
  • Realistic trees

0 voters

11 Likes

Hot dang, boy, do you know how sick I am of seeing blocky trees?
Plus, trees with textured leaves are the way modern games do it, so it makes it one step further from looking like your everyday Roblox game.

2 Likes

Can’t believe I considered blocky trees in the first place lol. Nice to know literally everyone thinks the same.

3 Likes

I actually like blocky trees if they’re created well.

I’ve also found relying too heavily on realistic trees can cause lots of lag.

A blocky tree can be 25-50 parts, while a realistic one can range in the hundreds. Also consider the sheer amount of calculations Roblox has to do because of the transparency.

Edit: If this is for a showcase, realistic trees are probably the way to go. But besides that it really should be personal preference. There are also a multitude of games with blocky trees. Miner’s Haven probably being one of the more prominent ones.

8 Likes

Damn that sure is a super cool looking game! Is there any way I could play this and explore?

1 Like

Blocky trees don’t fit in at all in my opinion, as the rest is CRAZY GOOD LOOKING!

Great work!

1 Like

I think you should realistic. It would be so good to finally have a game that looks real. Also with the game style and stuff it would look horrible with basic trees. 100% go with the realistic! :deciduous_tree:

1 Like

I really think that you should use the realistic ones. They make the game “more real” and they are more appealing. :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did worry about that and I have a setting just to remove all trees. I also have a Low Detail mode (removing background trees/unnecessary textures).

1 Like

It all depends on what you prefer but I’d go with the blocky if it was made good. As @Secretum_Flamma said realistic trees cause a lot of lag which is very true and it makes no sense making a game that only have the looks and isn’t playable because majority of the players who use roblox doesn’t have top tier computers and fast internet.

If it’s for something like a showcase then use realistic trees. It all depends on how the rest of the game is made. If you have high quality buildings and details and such but have blocky trees then it wouldn’t really match. However if your game is made where graphics aren’t one of the major features of the game, then blocky is the way to go.

1 Like