Should terrain be client or server sided?

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    I want to know whether it is better to have client or server sided terrain in my case
  2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    I am using procedurally generated terrain that generates as far as a player walks. I fear the if I generate this terrain on the server it may take up too much memory, but I am having issues with client sided terrain.
  3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    I have looked through the developer forums for a solution to my problem and even asked for one here but I’m wondering if I should just switch to server sided terrain.

I think it’s best to have server-sided, that way on other clients, it does not look like someone’s just floating.

1 Like

Everything is replicated with remote events, and a seed is used to ensure the same terrain is generated for everyone.

Yes, however if someone’s terrain is not generated yet, someone in that terrain would appear floating.

First off, procedurally generating terrain can use a lot of resources and be calculation-intensive. It is best to have it be server-sided so that you don’t have to account for device limitations. Also, as @StudioNovaHolder mentioned, to other players it may look like another player is floating over the void. Plus with it being server-sided you don’t have to run the code more than once on multiple clients to generate the same terrain.

1 Like

Ir should be server sided not just because of someone who looks like they are flying but because if you have let’s say weapons like guns the bullets will go through the object if it’s server-side if you make it client sided when a new player join their terrain will look different

1 Like

When in doubt, do it server-sided.

Regarding performance, you will sooner or later lose the performance improvements you wanted to achieve. Also, as stated by a previous reply it will seem as if you are floating to other players if the terrain isn’t updated. Also chunks can be “dynamically modified” by the server. Meaning the server can modify terrain for the clients before sending them if needed.

4 Likes

I do use atmosphere density to make the terrain generate seamlessly but I understand what you guys are saying regarding performance and modification so I will move it to be server sided thank you.
https://streamable.com/yta8kw

Marked as solution because this reply really convinced me regarding the performance and allowing chunks to be dynamically modified.

1 Like

On a side note, the terrain you are generating looks really good!

1 Like

Thank you very much it took me a while to make :happy3: