Show multiple sections of the same script

This idea is to show multiple sections of the same script at the same time so you can quickly refer back to one section of your script without losing your place.

Use-case: Not losing a section of your script you would like to refer to a lot.

I’ve shown my use-case in the picture. I will admit it is a pretty weird use case, so I won’t be offended if you say this idea is dumb. Does any other coding editor do this?

I like the idea of editing it and it showing up on the bottom one too, but scrolling independantly.

However, for your purpose of looking at the contents only, you can copy it into another script and split it like this:

I still think the coolest context of splitscreen scripts is this:

[quote=Maelstronomer]I like the idea of editing it and it showing up on the bottom one too, but scrolling independantly.

However, for your purpose of looking at the contents only, you can copy it into another script and split it like this:[/quote]

You could always modify them on .Changed of the other script.

.Changed can detect when a script’s lines of code has been changed?

Yes. Changes to the source fired .Changed, and IIRC ROBLOX fixed the issue where modifying a script when it was open would crash Studio.

Sort of. Not as you’re typing - you gotta click off the script window to have it fire. But very cool.

If you need this I am either

1. Impressed that you actually have a good reason to do this
  2. Sad you don’t know how to abstract into module scripts

[quote] If you need this I am either

2. Sad you don’t know how to abstract into module scripts [/quote]

What is this terminology “abstact into module scripts”?

I do use module scripts, a lot. But I don’t see how I could use them for a table of contents.

This is more or less solved because you can duplicate a script, and use the scripting tabs to see both sections at once. Then delete the unchanged script. Which is what I ended up doing.

[quote] If you need this I am either

I do use module scripts, a lot. But I don’t see how I could use them for a table of contents.

This is more or less solved because you can duplicate a script, and use the scripting tabs to see both sections at once. Then delete the unchanged script. Which is what I ended up doing.[/quote]

Only a long script needs a table of contents, yes? So slice it up in logical pieces into module scripts until there is no longer a need for a table of contents. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you. But I feel that needing a table of contents tells that you’re making a script that is too long.

[quote] [quote=“Davidii” post=170838]If you need this I am either

This is more or less solved because you can duplicate a script, and use the scripting tabs to see both sections at once. Then delete the unchanged script. Which is what I ended up doing.[/quote]

Only a long script needs a table of contents, yes? So slice it up in logical pieces into module scripts until there is no longer a need for a table of contents. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you. But I feel that needing a table of contents tells that you’re making a script that is too long.[/quote]

Of course, my code could always be chopped up into more and more modules. Possibly improving it. But sometimes just having it a function works too, which is how I got to where I am with a 1.6k line script to deal with all lobby-menu GUI things and some client side remote events. (If I had that raises shoulder ascii art I would use it here because it’s not really a big deal to me)

IIRC Only when the editor commits the change, which happens when the place is saved or when the editor loses focus.